NEIPA grain bill

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lallemand New England. I also have a packet of Lallemand Verdant in the fridge but earmarking that for my next brew (planning a single hop Enigma ale using Wheat and Carawheat).
It's a really nice yeast. Takes a few days to get going, but leaves a nice stable haze and some nice citrusy esters.

Posted with comment

Opened the first link and turned after I read that they used cascade for 24 hours, also whole leaf.

Hop products have come on a long while since then, I am sure if he used different hops for different periods of time he would have different results.

Posted with comment

Opened the first link and turned after I read that they used cascade for 24 hours, also whole leaf.

Hop products have come on a long while since then, I am sure if he used different hops for different periods of time he would have different results.

Unfortunately people have extrapolated from one study that 8g/L is a "saturation point" when in reality, it's diminishing returns (of the oils we ordinarily look to extract), and Shellhammer himself has been clear that this is a very narrow study.

Unfortunately people have extrapolated from one study that 8g/L is a "saturation point" when in reality, it's diminishing returns (of the oils we ordinarily look to extract), and Shellhammer himself has been clear that this is a very narrow study.
I'll accept that. What I don't think is right is blanket advising someone "at least 14g/L dry hop" with no reason not justification.

I'll accept that. What I don't think is right is blanket advising someone "at least 14g/L dry hop" with no reason not justification.
Sorry didn't realise it needed for a full explanation.

Neipa are highly hopped beers, as pet the guidelines. Now 6g/l may be ok got a traditional american pale ale but not a neipa. Experience tells me you want to be aiming for at least 14g/l. Conversation with professional brewers will also confirm this. A few breweries release data about dropping rates. Cloudwater are good at this. I had one with 25g/l and it was amazing. Verdant released the recipe for even sharks need water which they describe as a ipa, recipe states 16g/l.
https://www.themaltmiller.co.uk/product/verdant-even-sharks-need-water-neipa/

Every now and then i love an in your face juicy hop bomb of a neipa.Buying hops in 1kg bags at a time takes the sting out of the cost.
My fav hops for neipa are el dorado, idaho 7, citra, sabro.

I done a couple of brews this summer (23ltr) 180g in whirlpool at 78c......80g first dry hop day 2.....200g dry hop at 5 days.Belive me the kegs did not last long.

I am sure there are diminishing returns on g/ltr, but as Leon posted 15g/ltr is far from uncommon for a juicy hop bomb neipa.

Every now and then i love an in your face juicy hop bomb of a neipa.Buying hops in 1kg bags at a time takes the sting out of the cost.
My fav hops for neipa are el dorado, idaho 7, citra, sabro.

I done a couple of brews this summer (23ltr) 180g in whirlpool at 78c......80g first dry hop day 2.....200g dry hop at 5 days.Belive me the kegs did not last long.

I am sure there are diminishing returns on g/ltr, but as Leon posted 15g/ltr is far from uncommon for a juicy hop bomb neipa.
How long do you whirl pool for mate? Do you take the first dry hop out before putting the second in?

I've been on the NEIPA quest for quite some time and my current brew is the best so far.

For a 23L batch at 5.9% I used:

3.6kg Extra Pale
900g Flaked Oats
900g Wheat Malt
600g Cara Gold

No hops in the boil
75g Galaxy and 75g Nelson for a 15min Whirpool at 85C
75g Galaxy and 75g Nelson dry hopped for 3 days
20g Citra lupomax teabag keg hop

Next time I want to push the ABV a bit more and try yet another yeast, maybe Verdant IPA or Imperial Juice A38 (if I can get my hands on it). But so far Kveik Voss has been my favourite.

thanks for all the advice. In the end I solved the issue of going to the shop for oats by getting my wife to pop in the shop on the way home! I brewed on Saturday and it seemed to come out alright and there is a lovely thick krausen already, going to drop the first dry hop in tonight.

I went with this grain bill in the end, upped the oats but not quite to the max and reduced the flaked barley, I'll probably push it up a bit more again next time as it didn't stick or burn or anything:

2.8kg pilsner
800g oats
300g wheat
200g flaked barley
200g carapils

and I did move the 5 min addition to the switch off instead. and then added the whirlpool addition between 70-76 degrees and held it for 30 mins.

Latest posts

Back