NEIPA - naked oats?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buffers brewery

Complicated Brewer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Planning to brew my third batch of NEIPA week after next. Checking my grain store I seem to have purchased a kilo of naked oats ashock1. The previous two attempts (that turned out ok) I used Tesco’s porridge oats. I’ve read that naked oats produce unfermentables and consequently a sweeter beer. Should I pop to Tesco or give naked oats a shot?

Planning to brew my third batch of NEIPA week after next. Checking my grain store I seem to have purchased a kilo of naked oats ashock1. The previous two attempts (that turned out ok) I used Tesco’s porridge oats. I’ve read that naked oats produce unfermentables and consequently a sweeter beer. Should I pop to Tesco or give naked oats a shot?
Are they Golden Naked Oats or Naked Oat Malt? I use the latter when using a large amount of oats, something like a 50/50 mix with rolled oats. The Golden oats do give a nice sweetness, what is the rest of the grainbill and what FG, mouthfeel are you aiming for?

Golden Naked Oats. I follow the recipe from Greg Hughes Home brew beer.
4 kg Pilsner malt
1 kg flaked oats
500 grm Vienna malt
250 grm Carapils

My last 2 attempts resulted in not quite hitting the target OG 1.053 so I was going to increase the Pilsner malt by 500 grm. If I use the Golden Naked Oats I was going to try another 500 grm of Pilsner to compensate for the lack of fermentables from the oats.

Found a couple of NEIPA recipes online today that include both flaked oats and naked oats. Using 1 kg flaked oats to 500 grm naked oats. Think I’ll give that a go to see how it turns out. My main worry now is a gummed up mash ashock1

When I last did my NEIPA, I couldn't find a certain oat and used SPELT, which seemed to work. As with any NEIPA, you might want have it at a party or some such so it gets drank in good time as mine began to start to clear after a while, still tasted good, just not as astetically (sp) pleasing.

Found a couple of NEIPA recipes online today that include both flaked oats and naked oats. Using 1 kg flaked oats to 500 grm naked oats. Think I’ll give that a go to see how it turns out. My main worry now is a gummed up mash ashock1
I’m curious BB, how did it turn out? I’m planning a NEIPA myself next weekend.

I’ve read that naked oats produce unfermentables and consequently a sweeter beer
Interesting. I wonder how accurate this is. Even though oats produce unfermentables, surely the beta amylase in the rest of the mash should cleave up the long chain sugars into more fermentable short ones, just like the starches and dextrins from barley? How do naked oats differ from porridge oats in this respect?

Checkout post #260 in my Chaos of Buffers brew day log to see an example of the result. The taste was noticeably “different” to the previous brew but not in a negative way. Wasn’t noticeably sweet. I find this recipe quite bitter, like grapefruit pith, so it would need a lot to make it sweet. I prefer just plain (porridge) oats now and am drinking an NEIPA brewed with the all porridge oats recipe currently. I do a bg rest at 50-55C for 30 minutes with the oats and an equal quantity of base malt and that seems to have helped with my set up avoiding gummed up mash.

Did you find they give a citrus flavour? I brewed an IPA repeating a previous recipe only I swapped terrified oats for golden naked oats. Everything else was the same except for this change and it just seems strange to get this flavour difference.
Can't remember if it was more citrus as an NEIPA is hop forward but I remember there was a noticeable difference in the flavour from the previous NEIPA I brewed with plain porridge oats. I don't use the naked oats anymore for my NEIPA brews.

Can't remember if it was more citrus as an NEIPA is hop forward but I remember there was a noticeable difference in the flavour from the previous NEIPA I brewed with plain porridge oats. I don't use the naked oats anymore for my NEIPA brews.
It was the first time I used them and they have a distinctive smell to them.

When I last did my NEIPA, I couldn't find a certain oat and used SPELT, which seemed to work. As with any NEIPA, you might want have it at a party or some such so it gets drank in good time as mine began to start to clear after a while, still tasted good, just not as astetically (sp) pleasing.
You know spelt is wheat not oats right?

I think golden naked oats are a great addition to a NEIPA. They add a slight sweetness and lots of body that you really want in the style.

I got a third place in the LAB Open for my NEIPA and that includes 1kg of golden naked oats. Full recipe here: That Scene From Interstellar - London Amateur Brewers Wiki
Interesting. I was planning on brewing with a very similar grain bill:

80% Low Color Golden Promise 7.5Kg
10% Chit malt 1Kg
10% Golden Naked Oats 1Kg

And was worried about how to mill GNO properly, and whether using 10% GNO would be too much. Glad to see it worked for you

Cheers.

GNO are smaller than barley - you will need to tighten up the mill gap. I think I had to put mine on nearly the smallest diameter my milk can do.

Just to follow up on my recipe, discussing the finished beer with others in the last few days, they say it is too sweet.

I like it personally, but I see where they’re coming from. The level of bitterness (it tastes more than 41 IBU) offsets the sweetness, but next time I brew it I’ll cut it down to half a kilo to see the difference.

GNO are smaller than barley - you will need to tighten up the mill gap. I think I had to put mine on nearly the smallest diameter my milk can do.

Just to follow up on my recipe, discussing the finished beer with others in the last few days, they say it is too sweet.

I like it personally, but I see where they’re coming from. The level of bitterness (it tastes more than 41 IBU) offsets the sweetness, but next time I brew it I’ll cut it down to half a kilo to see the difference.
I have a mill that has a minimum gap of 0.025", I will attempt to mill the GNO first at that setting without the rest of the malt.

I was wondering exactly the same about whether to use 500gr flaked oats and 500gr GNO or just 1Kg of GNO. I guess I will try with 1Kg GNO and see how sweet it can get. I usually mash between 68-70C for NEIPAs.

Latest posts

Back