NEIPA revelation

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What hop rate are you using. I have a hazy IPA on which has 300g of hops. Can you get to the point of adding to much hops.
A friend loves brewing hoppy IPAs. He is up at 1kg for 40 litres. Is there a saturation point
Not necessatily a saturation point, more a point of diminishing returns after 8g/L (on a commercial scale where extraction may be higher). After that it's an inefficient use of hops.

The Surprising Science of Dry Hopping – Lessons from Tom Shellhammer

There is absolutley nothing wrong with brewdog beer, you cant go wrong with pretty much any of their range of brews.I have spent plenty of money on their beers.True the price has dropped quite a bit in the last year or so.Hence cheap and cheerfull, probably because of the sheer volume they are producing now, and offering it to supermarkets in bulk cheap.

Hats off to the guys at brewdog, they even put their recipes on the website, cant recall may brewerys doing that eh?

Some of the smaller craft brewerys put out a smaller volume of beer thats still in demand, and can price it accordingly
I don't know about recipes published on the website but many in the downloadable PDFs have mistakes in the. I brewed their 'Hype' recently and had to multiply the hop amounts by 10

I prefer Northern Monk's Newer World to Hazy Jane. £3 from Morrisons. They also sell Order of the Faith which is a nice IPA.
Found the Northern Monk stuff pretty underwelming compared to Brewdog and Vocation

I agree. And yet surely there's a reason that breweries are going to double that for a dry hop with no signs of deterioration?
I don't think it's a case of deterioration, just that the impact of dry hopping isn't linear with amount added. I guess the marginal gain of doubling the dry hop rate is worth it to some breweries as they can easily offset the cost onto consumers, which is why you see £7 cans of NEIPAs and them using hopping rates as a marketing tool.

The most eagerly anticipated half pint ever
It's very good!

20200807_135536.jpg

Had my first taste of NEIPA this weekend and completely WOW ! This was from Morrisons craft beer shelves - they have an incredible broad range at our local. Juicy tart gooseberry and lychee flavours.

775BA8BE-5F94-4CF0-9E11-90EA941236D8.jpeg

I was initially really enthusiastic about how could I make something like this, though sadly on reading now realise I really can’t with my current equipment.
I spoke about at dinner time how nice it was and how I couldn’t make it at the moment. My youngest daughter laughed and said she was sure in that case it wouldn’t be long before I did have the equipment needed!

Anna

I was really pleased with the outcome of the one I tried to brew, although I made it a little more bitter than some. I have no fancy equipment but I did purge the headspace of the bottle with a bike tyre co2 inflator. I left one as bottled without purging so I can do a side by side which I must try soon!

Had my first taste of NEIPA this weekend and completely WOW ! This was from Morrisons craft beer shelves - they have an incredible broad range at our local. Juicy tart gooseberry and lychee flavours.

View attachment 32975
I was initially really enthusiastic about how could I make something like this, though sadly on reading now realise I really can’t with my current equipment.
I spoke about at dinner time how nice it was and how I couldn’t make it at the moment. My youngest daughter laughed and said she was sure in that case it wouldn’t be long before I did have the equipment needed!

Anna
I bet youngest daughter is right :)
Thankfully one of my local brewerys always brew a lovely neipa or hazy ipa every year, and i spend far to much on it.

Slowly getting the right equipment together to atleast have a decent shot at making a presentable neipa, keezer, snub nose fermenter.In a few weeks i should have a brewzilla arriving.

Done 3 closed transfers from the snub nose to keg, and already a big improvement over bottling.

View attachment 32975

Anna

Morrison's have just refreshed their range (along with Tesco) and there are some stunning Hazy IPAs readily available. I spent a good amount of time, and had many frustrating batches, before I realised the importance of minimising oxygen exposure.

Kegging, followed by closed transfers, saw the complete transformation in my NEIPAs. They've gone from being brown/purple and cloyingly sweet inside two weeks, to maintaining a beautiful yellow/orange juice-like appearance, along with bright hop flavour and aroma for months.

Kegging, followed by closed transfers, saw the complete transformation in my NEIPAs. They've gone from being brown/purple and cloyingly sweet inside two weeks, to maintaining a beautiful yellow/orange juice-like appearance, along with bright hop flavour and aroma for months.
I'm now officially envious clapaathumb...
I really can't justify the space or the cost though of moving to kegging at the moment. I think my family think I'm a bit daft about brewing as it is already without getting more things to fill the garage. I also think getting the bathroom done and the leaking roof fixed (yes proper leak - had water streaming in once this summer) will have to take priority....
.. so I'll maybe come looking for advice next year!

Anna

Not uncommon to see £6/7 cans. Omnipollo ones are ~£16 a can, which is mental. I suppose people pay far more some wines.

As brewers, we know better though.

£5-7 isn't completely outrageous when you calculate out the cost of the hops put in as well as the losses due to those hops.

I think homebrewers also forget the other costs of commercial brewing - wages, property, insurance, equipment capital, power, marketing, retail markup etc that dwarf the ingredient cost.

8DA41145-FCD1-4F1F-A9BF-82AD83BE90F4.jpeg
Made my latest Cloudwater v Brewdog type clone using there recipe. WoW tasted wonderful when I was bottling so be interesting in a couple of weeks to see how it’s turned out after carbonating !

Back