NEIPA Yeast Recommendations

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Braufessor's is the benchmark for the 15k-post NEIPA thread on HBT, although it uses some ingredients like honey malt that aren't particularly easy to find here :
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/threads/northeast-style-ipa.568046/page-146#post-8203827
I can vouch for this recipe too. I went with the original version (Citra, Mosaic, Galaxy) as per post no.5803 linked above and was really pleased with it.
The OP does say that the recipe is pretty flexible and you can sub things or even leave things out altogether yet still get a good beer at the end of it.

You can get Honey Malt from a few places, I've had it from The Malt Miller and The Homebrew Company. It is fairly pricey but a little goes a long way.

Not sure if this will help, but I've started basing my stuff around this recipe.

He explains what they put in and why. About 1 min 20 onwards is useful.

Hi lisaMC only done one hazy so far an even that was a hazy from muntons flagship range which came with SO4 pack of dried yeast ,but I swapped for a verdant dry yeast and it turned out superb . Turned out to be the best kit brew I’ve ever done in forty years of brewing and wiil definitely do again to keep stocks up 👍🍻

How would I dry hop at the end of fermentation without introducing oxygen? I would prefer to do this but never been brave enough. To be fair I think that's what Jim did with his latest brew.
Use magnets for dry hopping. Fill a muslin with your dry hops and a magnet and attach it to the inside of the fermenter lid with a magnet on the outside. When you're ready to dry hop just remove the magnet and the hops will drop into the beer without the need to remove the lid.

My vote for yeast is a dual pitch of London 3 and a US West Coast.

I usually use SA05 when heavy hopping. Usually fermented out in 5/6..

I'm guessing that's the SafAle US-05? That's indeed a good neutral yeast that works great with hoppy beers. With a New England IPA you want to end up with a bit less attenuation than this strain and perhaps a bit more character. I don't think US-05 is an obvious candidate - unless there is another SA05 yeast you are refering to.

Use magnets for dry hopping. Fill a muslin with your dry hops and a magnet and attach it to the inside of the fermenter lid with a magnet on the outside. When you're ready to dry hop just remove the magnet and the hops will drop into the beer without the need to remove the lid.

My vote for yeast is a dual pitch of London 3 and a US West Coast.

I'd heard about this method, only the guy describing it used a swinging plastic cup, as he reckoned the hops were affected moisture.

In your method, does the bag & interior magnet drop into the liquid? I wasn't sure if the magnet would taint it or not

I'd heard about this method, only the guy describing it used a swinging plastic cup, as he reckoned the hops were affected moisture.

In your method, does the bag & interior magnet drop into the liquid? I wasn't sure if the magnet would taint it or not
I've never actually done it personally, but yes, the magnet would drop into the liquid in this case. Lots of people use a teaspoon to weigh their hop bags down so I'm assuming a little magnet wouldn't be an issue.

When people do this they use magnets that are encased in plastic.

I've never actually done it personally, but yes, the magnet would drop into the liquid in this case. Lots of people use a teaspoon to weigh their hop bags down so I'm assuming a little magnet wouldn't be an issue.
I used to use the muslin bag and magnet technique (the magnets are food grade scientific ones) but the results were not great. Sometimes the bag would get wet with high kruasen and I'm sure that was an issue. Now I just open my fermenter on day 2 or 3 (while there is active fermentation) and bung the hops in. Then I add a 20g lupomax hop bag to my keg when packaging and my beers are 10 times better now.

If you are doing a ddh, i normally do first dh on day 2 at high krausen then again on day 5 or 6 near the end of fermentation.There is normally still some krausen that helps to keep o2 off the beer.Within a few mins after adding the hops they seem to bring the krausen up for a short while, just let the pressure out a few times and you should be back to co2 again.

Touch wood it has worked for me so far, and i have not messed about with bags or magnets.

Just seen this thread - I'm also planning a Christmas NEIPA. I have a Fermzilla All Rounder for pressure fermentation - I'm planning to use the CML Clipper yeast for the first time (which Steve at CML has told me is similar to London Ale III/Conan). Previously though, I have had good success with US-05 for NEIPA's - so I'd recommend that if you haven't tried it! As others have said, it's definitely a clean yeast that allows the hop character to shine through - I just want to try something different this time around.

For dry hopping, I'm doing one charge straight away at yeast pitch (see this Brulosophy if sceptical) and then I plan to make a hop tea which I plan to add using a closed transfer after fermentation is complete after crashing to around 13 degrees celsius. Hope this helps and good luck to you!

Latest posts

Back