Nelson’s Revenge - no fermentation.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

prospectjim66

Reaction score
Hi, I made up the Woodfords Nelson’s Revenge this morning, following the instructions to the letter. The brew temp is 22-24c by the stick on thermometer, room temp is just 18c. After 6 hrs leaving it like that there seems to be now fermentation going on. Any idea what’s gone wrong or am I just too impatient! Thanks Jim.

Just lag time while the yeast start gearing up to eat all that sugar. I must say I'd be happy with a 6hr lag, usually its more like 24hrs for me.

18 is fine. No point increasing the temp if it's happy unless you know the yeast. After about 3 or 4 days it should slow down a bit but keep it there. If your 18 should drop after that I'd take it up a bit just to make sure it's the best chance of finishing. If you can keep 18 throughout that's perfect imo.

Morning, just a quick update, this morning all was well and it’s started it’s fermenting cycle overnight. Patience is a virtue! 🤣👍
Patience is a requirement if you ask me :)
During the summer I think it was, I saw on here someone had chucked an entire batch for some reason (can't remember why) and it turned out they were just being too impatient. What a waste of beer :( If I get time I'll dig out the post.

We'll probably all agree to disagree on the ideal temp for fermentation, but with some yeasts anything below 18C can cause issues such as a stuck brew, and that is a common thread with some of the Woodfordes / Muntons kits. So maybe just keep an eye on it, after a few days it doesn't hurt to warm it up a bit anyway.

Latest posts

Back