Nespresso for beer’

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
While it doesn’t seem to be quite as overpriced as soon of these cartridge base brewing machines a mere £1.20 a pint. However I could be wrong but looking at the companies website the cartridges appear to list a liquid volume of 700ml which makes me suspect that this machine uses malt extract

Now their is nothing wrong with malt extract brew kits but if this is the case this means that for 40 pints you are paying £48 double the price of a typical premium kit. Throw in that you are tied to buying from the companies limited selection of kits and I can safely say that I will be giving this one a pass.

I think it’s a great entry point into home brewing. I can imagine people getting the Pinter as a birthday gift, enjoying the process a few times then getting the bug and ‘upgrading’. Not so different to now, where many of us get a cheapo bucket and extract kit to start, and end up with a garage full of stainless steel vessels.

I think it’s a great entry point into home brewing. I can imagine people getting the Pinter as a birthday gift, enjoying the process a few times then getting the bug and ‘upgrading’. Not so different to now, where many of us get a cheapo bucket and extract kit to start, and end up with a garage full of stainless steel vessels.
They don’t market extract kits as “the only way to experience fresh beer at home” though. There are still a lot of people out there who think home brewing is for making rocket fuel and can make you go blind, this isn’t doing anything to change that perception.

They don’t market extract kits as “the only way to experience fresh beer at home” though. There are still a lot of people out there who think home brewing is for making rocket fuel and can make you go blind, this isn’t doing anything to change that perception.
Probably hasn’t helped that all too often home brew kits are advertised as just 25p a pint or similar. While I still do kits from time the great revelation for me with home brewing was BIAB and the realisation that I could do small all grain batches on the stove with a single large pot and some towels.

I agree, their marketing is totally misleading - just plainly untrue. The rocketfuel/blindness issue is one for us all to debunk, as is the ‘only alcoholics make homebrew’ myth. My point is that ease of access for beginners to home brewing helps us all. The market grows and we benefit from supplier competition, more innovation in homebrewing equipment and availabilty of ingredients. And ultimately better beer. In spite of the Pinter’s obvious shortcomings, it provides people a gateway to our hobby and that’s a good thing.

They are not aiming at us whatsoever as I think their timing is bang on be it inappropriate due to the pandemic where there have been thousands of others sitting at home and not venturing out to the pubs to grab a beer.
Even at the start there were a few publicans converting vans for deliveries of freshly poured pints to the doorstep and this is were the cunning ploy is where people those who want simplicity, less fuss and don't need to venture out and of course it will be "Fresh" be it young. Times have changed so people will adapt to suit their needs.
This is purely my opinion.

"The ingredients should be put into the Pinter which should then be put in the brewing dock and left to brew for two to five days before placing in the fridge. " :roll:

Some things don't change... :laugh8:

[/QUOTE]
I am always suspicious about anything that quotes "fresh beer"
I like my beer bottle conditioned for at least a month before drinking thank you very much.

In the context of beer, 'fresh' doesn't mean without being conditioned and I guess they're confident the beer their machines produce is at optimum condition. Will it taste good though?

Anything that gets people brewing at home right now is great, but macines like this have the potential to do one of two things. A. Think 'surely I can make better beer than this' and want to find out more and end up on forums like this. Or B. Think 'I always though hkmebrew would be ****' and stick it in a cupboard.

This is probably aimed at the Christmas market right now. The subscription model is a very good idea and let's hope it does indeed produce good beer.

Last edited:
Given all the issues us homebrewers have (infections, off-tasting beer, stuck ferments etc.) I wonder how successful this device will be, or will it be one of those things that works a couple of times then you start getting issues with cleanliness etc.?

They are not aiming at us whatsoever as I think their timing is bang on be it inappropriate due to the pandemic where there have been thousands of others sitting at home and not venturing out to the pubs to grab a beer.
Even at the start there were a few publicans converting vans for deliveries of freshly poured pints to the doorstep and this is were the cunning ploy is where people those who want simplicity, less fuss and don't need to venture out and of course it will be "Fresh" be it young. Times have changed so people will adapt to suit their needs.
This is purely my opinion.

Yeah, this is just a way to market the good old extract kit at people who don't already home brew. I went to their actual site, and I'm not even sure that the extract packs include yeast, as it says you have to add this.

Basically seems to be an FV, with some kind of built in filtration, and a tap with a big handle, and means to screw in the extract pack or something. Not Nespresso for beer at all, as Nespresso machines use ground coffee, so still produce real coffee. It's more like instant coffee (sorry folks, you know how I feel about extract kits, I tried them loads back in the beginning, and hated the stuff they produced, it was barely beer when I used them.) from a maxpax machine. lol

I don't have any issue with products like this, there are folks out there who will embrace it I'm sure, like the Mr Beer in the US (is this not similar in fact?). It may even prove to be a step on the ladder into the hobby for some folks, like mead and country wines were for me.

As to Fresh beer, I have a delicious Grapefruit IPA, galaxy/mosaic/citra/simcoe pale ale and now an orange infused cascade pale ale sat in my kitchen that yeah definitely say there's another way to make your own fresh beer... acheers. We're been put on "not a local lockdown" from tomorrow though, so nobody can come to my house and enjoy them with us sadly.... lol

Complete and utter rubbish - what are they using to ferment out in 3 days - only KVIEK does that. I appreciate it is under pressure - but flavoured LME, pre hopped with an over pitch of yeast ready in under a week seems likely to taste like *****...I'm ready to be proven wrong....

Complete and utter rubbish - what are they using to ferment out in 3 days - only KVIEK does that. I appreciate it is under pressure - but flavoured LME, pre hopped with an over pitch of yeast ready in under a week seems likely to taste like *****...I'm ready to be proven wrong....

I've used Kviek multiple times, and at ambient temps it doesn't ferment out in 3 days. lol I can't see a power cable on that kit anywhere? Claiming shorter fermentation times than is the truth though, for an LME kit, is nothing new, par for the course really. It's just a fancy FV, that ties you in to buying their kits as far as I can tell. Won't do any harm overly though, as fools and their money are easily parted, and meh let them get on with it, why worry? Maybe it only makes 2% beer? lol

fools and their money are easily parted,

How many of us thought we needed an ice-cream maker and its now been in the kitchen cupboards for a couple of years having made a couple of batches.

I have no doubt they will sell but how many will be used regularly once the novelty wears off.

Last edited:
Back