Netflix Series.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Colony (under rated sci fi)
Unbreakable Kimmy Scimdt
Lost in Space (re make of the 60s series)
Episodes (Great bbc comedy)
The Dark Adventures of Sabrina the Teenage Witch (surprisingly fun)
Breaking Bad (genius series)
The Good place (Brilliant comedy)
Schitts Creek (Brilliant comedy)
Brooklyn 99 (Brilliant comedy)
Mystery Science Theatre 3000 (genius comedy)
Umbrella academy (weird superhero shenanigans)

Glory, a movie set during the US Civil War is also on it and worth a watch .

Queens Gambit

Another vote for Umbrella Academy.

Plus if you need some calmer soapy drama with an insight into Japanese life and food, then "Midnight Diner" and the follow-up "Midnight Diner: Tokyo Stories" is worth a watch.

I watched canal boat programs
Canal Boat Diaries
Cruising the cut
Country house gent
Watched these in the first lockdown and it was escapism from not going anywhere.

A very personal take on the series I've watched or watching that I've enjoyed from Netflix and I'd recommend to anyone:

Bridgerton: I can't believe this hasn't been mentioned already... I mean it's just 🥰 really honestly it's a good plot, well acted, wonderful production values.
Umbrella academy: Off the wall sci fi very comic book with some brilliant strong women, one of the things that marks this out from other sci fi is the character development over the series.
Queens Gambit: Quality production, well realised era, doesn't rely on exposition for story, characters who develop and are multifaceted. She has great style too 😄.
Emily in Paris: Watching at the moment, and OK it has stereotypes and she can be a bit irritating to begin with - but she's supposed to be. Fun escapism and everyone is beautifully stylish.
Fate: The Winx Saga: Teenage witches but definitely not Hogwarts. Fun, loses it's way halfway through but finishes strong and definitely not where you'd expect. Sadly not as good as Fort Salem, but while waiting for another series of that it'll keep me going.
Lucifer: lots of series, lots of silliness, lots of style, really want not to like Tom Ellis but the overall story arc is so well realised - one for watching if you have lots and lots of time on your hands.
Altered Carbon: Season 1 is well worth watching, S2 less so. Sci fi again, well realised universe, complexity in all the characters, plot to keep you guessing.
Bridgerton: Again ..... worth watching twice.

Ok on reflection this is really quite a girly list... I hadn't quite realised how stereotyped my watching was.

Anna

Snowpiercer - Season 1 V.good - Season 2 is okay but it would have been better as Season 3 in my opinion.
Queens Gambit - Compelling viewing
Bridgerton - Tongue in cheek poke at the Regency Period. We watched it back to back with Shameless
Breaking Bad -
First couple of episodes are slow but then it shapes up into epic TV
Sons of Anarchy - Cool show, bit hard to watch in places but must watch viewing
Discovery - Boldly going....Slick Modern Star Trek Spin off.
Orange is the New Black - Black comedy set in a womens prison

Then a bit more light hearted
How I met your mother - We've watch it twice and will probably do so again
The Big Bang Theory - As above
Modern Family - US sitcom about an extended family.
Derry Girls -
The IT Crowd
The Office
- US and UK are both awesome.

A very personal take on the series I've watched or watching that I've enjoyed from Netflix and I'd recommend to anyone:

Bridgerton: I can't believe this hasn't been mentioned already... I mean it's just 🥰 really honestly it's a good plot, well acted, wonderful production values.
Umbrella academy: Off the wall sci fi very comic book with some brilliant strong women, one of the things that marks this out from other sci fi is the character development over the series.
Queens Gambit: Quality production, well realised era, doesn't rely on exposition for story, characters who develop and are multifaceted. She has great style too 😄.
Emily in Paris: Watching at the moment, and OK it has stereotypes and she can be a bit irritating to begin with - but she's supposed to be. Fun escapism and everyone is beautifully stylish.
Fate: The Winx Saga: Teenage witches but definitely not Hogwarts. Fun, loses it's way halfway through but finishes strong and definitely not where you'd expect. Sadly not as good as Fort Salem, but while waiting for another series of that it'll keep me going.
Lucifer: lots of series, lots of silliness, lots of style, really want not to like Tom Ellis but the overall story arc is so well realised - one for watching if you have lots and lots of time on your hands.
Altered Carbon: Season 1 is well worth watching, S2 less so. Sci fi again, well realised universe, complexity in all the characters, plot to keep you guessing.
Bridgerton: Again ..... worth watching twice.

Ok on reflection this is really quite a girly list... I hadn't quite realised how stereotyped my watching was.

Anna
Think you need to watch Good Girls, my better half smashed through it and raves about the series on your list aside from altered carbon. She's watched bridgerton at least 3 times. The few episodes if Good Girls I caught were very good. Quality three main actors. Most episodes seem to end on a bit of a cliffhanger giving a "just one more episode" Binge'ability!

Think you need to watch Good Girls, my better half smashed through it and raves about the series on your list aside from altered carbon. She's watched bridgerton at least 3 times. The few episodes if Good Girls I caught were very good. Quality three main actors. Most episodes seem to end on a bit of a cliffhanger giving a "just one more episode" Binge'ability!
Also "Dead to me"

I completely forgot to recommend “Working Moms”.

When my wife suggested we watch it I thought it was going to be “girly *****” but it is very well written and very funny. Quite edgy as well. Best comedy series I’ve seen since Life in Pieces.

If you like football The English Game is well worth watching. Only 4 one hour episodes it is based on the start of professional football in working class northern towns in the days when it was run by the public schools.

Fauda is good, got to watch with subtitles because the dubbed version is terrible!

if you like cooking:
The Chef show,
Salt Fat Acid Heat

'Black Sails' is a really good series that I don't think has been mentioned.

'Queen if the south' is also worth a watch although I haven't finished it yet.

'Sex education' is a brilliant comedy

Others that have been mentioned in here but I really enjoyed include:
You
Stranger Things
Dead to me
Orange is the new black
Cobra Kai
The haunting of hill House (much better than The haunting of Bly Manner)
The Witcher

And of course 'Tiger King' is a must see

Agh no .. just found out Bridgerton series 2 won’t have Jean Page in it 😱 so my recommendation is now rescinded. It’s not fair to inflict the joy and other emotions ... that season one brings with the disappointment that his lack of appearance in season 2 will one inevitably bring!

yes I appreciate your mileage may vary on this one😜.

Anna

Queens Gambit
Queens Gambit
Queens Gambit and Queens Gambit.
Queens Gambit is also worth a look.

Oh and Rick and Morty also.
Arrested Development.
Bojack Horseman.

And Queens Gambit

The final game against Borgov is based on Vassily Ivanchuck's draw against Robert Wolff in the 1993 Interzonal in Biel.
This is beautifully covered by some Croatian chess dude who calls himself Agadmator. He has a chess channel that I really admire:

The final game against Borgov is based on Vassily Ivanchuck's draw against Robert Wolff in the 1993 Interzonal in Biel.
This is beautifully covered by some Croatian chess dude who calls himself Agadmator. He has a chess channel that I really admire:

Did not know that.
Love Chess, such a relaxing/frustrating/fun/awful/glorious game.

Latest posts

Back