New all grain brewing kits

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gareth Davies

Reaction score
We are looking to put some all grain kits together next season using our hops from the farm. We would be very interested to here any advice on what people want, expect?

I started AG brewing with kits from the local Fulstow Brewery as prepared and presented by Grimsby Homebrew and in line with their kits my only advice is "KISS".

I have seen many AG recipes with what I consider a crazy number of hop additions during the Boil stage. "Crazy" in that I personally cannot see any significant or consistent advantage to doing so; plus weighing out and adding the hops must double the preparation and brewing work involved.

Personally, I restrict myself to a maximum of FIVE hop additions:
  1. One for the duration of the boil for Bittering.
  2. One sometime towards the end of the boil for Aroma.
  3. One at Flameout, also for aroma.
  4. One during fermentation and/or cold crashing for aroma and taste.
  5. One (in the form of a Hop Tea) prior to the addition of carbonating sugar and bottling.
I most often use 1. 3. and 5, above and thoroughly enjoy my brews ...

... bearing in mind that many of my taste-buds probably died a long time ago! :laugh8:

Good luck with the project. :thumb:

Thanks Dutto, I would defiantly back that - when brewing at home like yourself I use very little hop additions, I like to experiment but keeping it simple is good.

I know you are from the hop farm but some kits that aren’t just complete hop bombs would be good.

I know you are from the hop farm but some kits that aren’t just complete hop bombs would be good.

Rumbled :) I agree we would like to produce a range, its not all about the hops. We are hopefully teaming up with Warminster Maltings and White Labs which will be exciting

Rumbled :) I agree we would like to produce a range, its not all about the hops. We are hopefully teaming up with Warminster Maltings and White Labs which will be exciting

Don’t get me wrong, I wasn’t saying it’s not all about the hops. But some subtlety in the kits isn’t a bad thing instead of the extreme dry-hopping that only produces one dimension.

Are you going to stick to a set amount of recipes and styles or mix it up or give a custom option? What price are you looking at for a 23 l kit?
I just ordered,from malt miller, along with my bulk malt, a recipe off their new recipe generator...just to try it and it fitted with my next couple of brews and the hot weather. I copied the GH saison recipe,including hops and opted for the MJ saison yeast..cost about £16. I upped the base malt slightly to account for my efficiency. Very reasonable I think plus no waste or bits left

As a hop farm, I think you have an opportunity to do something that plays to the strengths of the hops and what they can do, rather than focusing on different beer styles that are based more on the malts. In other words, educate us!

Back