New brewer - thinking of trying BIAB on my second batch

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ffffuuuuzzzz

Reaction score
Hi,

So I just brewed my first batch, using a Brooklyn brew shop Everyday IPA 1 gallon kit. I have brewed 5 gallon batches with a friend in the past, using his all in one system, but this was my first solo brew. I think it went well, and I'm already thinking about my next batch, and what I would do differently.

I would like to move up to 5 gallon batches soon and am thinking about saving up for an all in one system. In the meantime I'd like to brew a few more small batches, just to work out some of the kinks, and try some different methods out.

For my next brew, I think I'm going to do the Everyday IPA recipe again (or maybe a slightly simpler variant of it, as I want to buy the ingredients separately - I'm open to recipe suggestions). I'd like to try the BIAB method this time - and am wondering if I could actually make a slightly larger batch. My stock pot is 10 litres, and I found when brewing the 1 gallon kit that I had lots of headroom in the pan, and could probably make a larger batch next time (of course I'll have to buy a bigger vessel to ferment it in)

So if I brew with the BIAB method in a 10 litre stock pot, what would be a good fermentor volume to aim for?

Thanks

I've been BIAB on the kitchen hob for the last year using an 18L stock pot - I tend to end up with 15L at the start of the boil, around 11.5L at the end of the boil and into the fermenter, which usually nets me about 20 x 500ml bottles.

So maybe 5-6L is realistic from a 10L stock pot.

If you can get a bigger stock pot I would really recommend it - I did a 5L batch once and to be honest it's the same amount of faff for half as much beer.

But I think it's a smart idea to find your feet first with BIAB - after 22 all grain batches I'm only just starting to consider shelling out for a more fancy brewing system.

Also take a look at this thread
https://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/threads/have-a-go-at-simple-ag.51779/

That is how I got started with all grain and I still do it pretty much this way. If IPA is your thing you can get an awfully long way with just some base malt, 1-3 suitable hops and a packet of yeast.

Good luck athumb..

I've been biab brewing for a couple of years I use a 40ltr buffalo boiler which u can get 5 gallon brews full volume to between 5 and 6 % brews for about £100 for the boiler a decent bag your world's your lobster happy brewing

I could get about 12L from a 15L stockpot.

You could do what I do and supplement the BIAB with 1kg of DME to get a higher volume, I can now get 17/18L from my 15L pan (boiling a smaller volume and topping up in the FV. Cheapest DME I've found is £5.50 a kilo from The Homebrew Company.

I do BIAB partial mashes using an 11 litre stock pot, which I fill to about 9 litres for the boil. As the level drops I just top up. All my recipes are based on 1 kg Pale Malt plus smaller amounts of other grains which either require mashing or steeping and 1.5 kg DME. I adjust the volume to suit but most come out at about 19/20 litres. I have a Harveys clone in the FV at present which started at 1.040 is now finshed at 1.008 and the volume was 20.5 litres at pitching.

+1 for the link for the basic AG BIAB recipe. I have been using this as the base for my AG brews since April, and have had excellent results. It's a great starting point.

Thanks for the advice everyone. Definitely going to try the recipe matt76 pointed me towards.

I have been trying to do 2ol batches using 2 6L stock pots. Basically I mash a full grain amount in 16L of water, boil 2x5L and top up with the wort as it boils down. I then check the gravity and dilute to bring it down to the desired OG. both have come out bang on what I was looking for but will update once its in the bottle.

I did this as my boiler stopped working so now just use it as an insulateed mash tun (with bag) and had 2 pots to hand. At some point I will buy a bigger pot but for the time being seems to be working ok.

Latest posts

Back