New brewerx

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skryppy

Reaction score
Hi. I've just progressed from a 5 litre kit to a 40 litre recipe for American Double ipa, 2 weeks ago. My fermenting 40 litres hasn't moved on the sg from 1.020 in the last few days, despite aerating the yeast. The brew tastes alright. Should I buy some yeast and attempt to restart it? Or should I bottle it with some carbonation drops? Any suggestions please.

See attached. Followed recipe 2 weeks ago, should be ready to bottle.

Attachments

• 20200713_203820.jpg
    20200713_203820.jpg
    10.6 KB · Views: 73
Do you have a better resolution photo? I can't read anything on that.

See attached. Hopefully easier to read

Attachments

• 20200714_041740.jpg
    20200714_041740.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 62
  • 20200714_041753.jpg
    20200714_041753.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 65
  • 20200714_041740.jpg
    20200714_041740.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 62
See attached. Hopefully easier to read

Looks like they are estimating it to get down to about 1.013 to end up at 6.2%.
Do you have more yeast or yeast nutrient?

I've had success adding half a teaspoon of nutrient, a few teaspoons of sugar boiled in water, giving it a stir to rouse the yeast and moving it to a slightly warmer location. Remember to keep everything that goes on the inside of the fermentation vessel sanitary and don't leave the lid off for too long or open it unnecessarily. A spray bottle with some no rinse sanitiser is helpful to have on hand as well.

If the above methods do nothing after a few days then I'd say add some more yeast.

Looks like they are estimating it to get down to about 1.013 to end up at 6.2%.
Do you have more yeast or yeast nutrient?

I've had success adding half a teaspoon of nutrient, a few teaspoons of sugar boiled in water, giving it a stir to rouse the yeast and moving it to a slightly warmer location. Remember to keep everything that goes on the inside of the fermentation vessel sanitary and don't leave the lid off for too long or open it unnecessarily. A spray bottle with some no rinse sanitiser is helpful to have on hand as well.

If the above methods do nothing after a few days then I'd say add some more yeast.
I can get some yeast but not same as used previously. I'll try your suggestion and move indoors for a few days. Thanks

I can get some yeast but not same as used previously. I'll try your suggestion and move indoors for a few days. Thanks

Try giving it a shake as well. It might rouse the yeast to get it going again.

I didn't check, still a novice.

The three most important points to get gravity are post-mash, pre-fermentation, and post-fermentation. The first will give you the mash efficiency. You need to know if you're extracting as much of the sugar as you're able to. The second gives you the OG which you need to determine how efficient your whole set up is, and the OG is also used to determine the ABV later. Finally the third reading will give you the FG which will let you know when fermentation has ended, the attenuation of the yeast, and this along with the OG will give you the ABV.

Latest posts

Back