New CML yeasts announced!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ronnie
I finally made an APA using Clipper yeast and it gave an attenuation of 92% which is incredible. However floculation is pretty poor with floating trub.

I made a NE pale ale last weekend and used Clipper for the first time. I opened the FV to dry hop today and, like you found, there’s loads of trub floating on the top still.
This did happen to me once before. I can’t remember what yeast I used then so will need to go back and check notes. On that occasion it did all drop with the cold crash though.

I made a NE pale ale last weekend and used Clipper for the first time. I opened the FV to dry hop today and, like you found, there’s loads of trub floating on the top still.
This did happen to me once before. I can’t remember what yeast I used then so will need to go back and check notes. On that occasion it did all drop with the cold crash though.
Trub, or yeast? The description of Clipper sounds like Lalbrew Verdant IPA yeast, which throws up a large head of yeast which takes a long time to drop. Sounds like they might be the same strain.

I wonder if Atlantic is similar to MJ36 from the description? Some great options for English Bitters / ESBs / pale ales in this range now.

For me CML yeasts are my go to yeasts, the range is fantastic with the exception of a California Lager yeast like M54.

I do not have a problem with the Kveik I do tend to leave it the normal 2 weeks-ish before kegging and also add a teaspoon of Gelatine 2 days before kegging and they all drop clear infact when I keg they are well on the way and can pull a reasonably clear/slightly hazy drink straight away

Well the true answer is no but obviously the colder the beer the better it will work as the beer will aid the Gelatine by naturally dropping out any yeast etc. I have no facility to do a true cold crash just the garage or the kitchen and it still seems to works for me but do bear in mind I am waiting for 2 weeks before kegging as well so some of it will be time honoured clearing as well

Trub, or yeast? The description of Clipper sounds like Lalbrew Verdant IPA yeast, which throws up a large head of yeast which takes a long time to drop. Sounds like they might be the same strain.

Sorry, yeast not trub. I’ve just looked back and seen the last time this happened was when I used Verdant IPA so, yes, likely they are the same strain.

Interesting. I haven't tried gelatine for about a year.
Do you have to cold crash for the gelatine to work?
I use gelatine finings but never cold crash. It works well for me (and has done for over 50 years).

I have recently been using CML California Common as an alternative to my usual Nottingham, and I have found it very good.

I've just ordered a couple of packs of clipper to try. I've used verdant before and based on the instructions just chucked it in. Are CML dried yeasts the same or should I rehydrate?

Latest posts

Back