New CML yeasts

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@the_quick @jjsh how did you find it for hop flavour? I normally like notty for summer but it suppresses hop flavour
I didn't find it muted the EKG I was using, I'm not sure how it would affect the more fragrant new world hops which I find a bit more sensitive to yeast selection (or is it that I expect more from them so notice the muting more? ). I also find Notty mutes everything with a sort of creamy butteryness.

I didn't find it muted the EKG I was using, I'm not sure how it would affect the more fragrant new world hops which I find a bit more sensitive to yeast selection (or is it that I expect more from them so notice the muting more? ). I also find Notty mutes everything with a sort of creamy butteryness.

Thanks jjsh. I rarely use new world hops and mostly stick to English or German

I think the dried stuff from them is enough for 23 litres...but I must confirm!
Yes...they say a packet it suitable for 20/25 litres of wort.

Last edited:
Which ones have you tried? All the ones I've tried (beoir, Calicommon, Kolsch) have been great with the exception of the Real Ale

English real ale.. US Ale which I tried about 6 times..

I have just tried the Kolsch one.. It is early days but I am not too keen on it.. Will see what its like this weekend..

Maybe it is just me bit there is soemthing about them which is disappointing and I associate it with every CML yeast I have used..

I cannot help but feel if I used MJ CAli or US05 on this current batch I am waiting on it would have trned out so much better

English real ale.. US Ale which I tried about 6 times..

I have just tried the Kolsch one.. It is early days but I am not too keen on it.. Will see what its like this weekend..

Maybe it is just me bit there is soemthing about them which is disappointing and I associate it with every CML yeast I have used..

I cannot help but feel if I used MJ CAli or US05 on this current batch I am waiting on it would have trned out so much better

I havent tried the US ale one. If you havent used the MJ Cali, be aware that it has a long lag time. Up to 2-3 days iirc but it's good when it finally does get done

I have used CML Belgium, Cal Common, Hog Norsk, Beoir, US, Kolsch, Wheat and Saison and all have been excellent. I find them as good as Fermentis and much better than MJ.

I havent tried the US ale one. If you havent used the MJ Cali, be aware that it has a long lag time. Up to 2-3 days iirc but it's good when it finally does get done
I used it ages ago and it was good

Maybe its just luck, I just cannot say I have made a great beer with CML.. this Kolsch one may turn out to be great tbh so maybe I should reserve judgment until it has had a good few weeks in the bottle to see how it turns out.

Latest posts

Back