New CML yeasts

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can't praise CML yeast enough. The Haze is my go to for NEIPAs and hazy beers now.
Last one I did took off like a rocket and finished 5 points lower than I expected.

Can't praise CML yeast enough. The Haze is my go to for NEIPAs and hazy beers now.
Last one I did took off like a rocket and finished 5 points lower than I expected.
if that one is the llalemand new england yeast it is a really good yeast for fruity ipas. i was also really happy with it. did you get it recently from cml?

if that one is the llalemand new england yeast it is a really good yeast for fruity ipas. i was also really happy with it. did you get it recently from cml?
Managed to get some from their ebay shop. I think they might only be open on there in the mornings though

Managed to get some from their ebay shop. I think they might only be open on there in the mornings though
Yeah, they typically open at 9am and close in the afternoon. I remember seeing a note on their shop page.

I've been using the CML Midland yeast, which is supposed to be like Notty. At first I thought it was not going to settle well, but I have changed my mind as yeast residue in bottles does eventually pack down well, And I have been re-using some of the trub from previous brews (up to 3 times) and it seems to me it gets stickier and stickier. It also is very top fermenting, the krausen is thick and creamy and lasts way past the point at which the fermentation is slowing down.

I've been using the CML Midland yeast, which is supposed to be like Notty. At first I thought it was not going to settle well, but I have changed my mind as yeast residue in bottles does eventually pack down well, And I have been re-using some of the trub from previous brews (up to 3 times) and it seems to me it gets stickier and stickier. It also is very top fermenting, the krausen is thick and creamy and lasts way past the point at which the fermentation is slowing down.

You could also test if it really is notty buy fermenting at about 25C/26C and seeing if there's no off flavours (obviously you may end up sacrificing a batch in the name of experimentation)

Couple of comments from me - I'll be interested to hear if anyone else has similar observations;

As I noted in my brew day thread:

- "Pia" seems to keep chugging away and is taking a while to reach FG. I've checked a couple of times when I was certain it was done and each time it's dropped another point or two! :laugh8:

- "Five" on the other hand is down to the predicted FG within 7 days of pitching. Particularly surprising as it started really quite nonchalantly. I'll give it a few days more obviously though. I haven't used US-05 enough to know if this is all typical.
I've asked this before but I'll ask it again.....

Has anyone else experienced "Pia" having a really long tail end of fermentation, e.g. gravity seems to keep creeping down slowly at a rate of about 1 point every 2 days?

I've used this yeast 3 times now - one time it ripped through fermentation in a few days, similar to what other people have already said, but twice now I've had this behavior where even after 2 weeks in the FV you'd swear blind it's done but when you check a couple of days later it's dropped another point or two.

I suppose you could say it's hop creep but it's not like I've never made similarly hoppy IPA's before using 1056, 1272, M44, US-05 which I don't think have had this characteristic.

It's mildly irritating as the sooner it's done then the sooner I can start drinking it acheers. But on the other hand the samples so far taste great so maybe it's a case that the best things are worth waiting for athumb..

Has anyone else experienced "Pia" having a really long tail end of fermentation, e.g. gravity seems to keep creeping down slowly at a rate of about 1 point every 2 days?

I've used this yeast 3 times now - one time it ripped through fermentation in a few days, similar to what other people have already said, but twice now I've had this behavior where even after 2 weeks in the FV you'd swear blind it's done but when you check a couple of days later it's dropped another point or two.

I suppose you could say it's hop creep but it's not like I've never made similarly hoppy IPA's before using 1056, 1272, M44, US-05 which I don't think have had this characteristic.

It's mildly irritating as the sooner it's done then the sooner I can start drinking it acheers. But on the other hand the samples so far taste great so maybe it's a case that the best things are worth waiting for athumb..
I used this yeast and would love to tell you the answer but I’m too bloody lazy to even check FG, I opened the lid after 5 days and it looked done and I bottled two days later, one thing I will say is that it’s one of their best yeasts.

Pia is great. Nice and clean and let's the hops shine. I don't check the gravity until I bottle. Normally after 2 weeks.

I'm brewing with the Hell and somehow the Inkbird 308 Wireless got turned down to 0.5c. It's possible that the cold crash profile got triggered by **** dialling. Anyway, by the time I noticed the beer was down to 7c but still blubbing away. I've let it free rise back to 13 and all is well. That yeast don't half steeeenk, though. It's gone on the list and is now one of the 8 yeasts I'll be doing at 39c when this one finishes.

Ordered 3 packs of hell yeast. Will ferment as low as the weather allows so probably set the temp for about 16 or so unless the weather kicks up again next week. Looking forward to it. Was planning to try Ubbe but couldnt get it and Oslo is too expensive.

I used the Kveik Voss from CML on an AAA and it started after 4 hours and finished after 3 days. I checked the FG on the 4th and 5th and it was steady and so moved to 2FV and in the fridge to cold crash although clear as a bell now.

Ordered 3 packs of hell yeast. Will ferment as low as the weather allows so probably set the temp for about 16 or so unless the weather kicks up again next week. Looking forward to it. Was planning to try Ubbe but couldnt get it and Oslo is too expensive.

I recently brewed with hell and thought it was really good.

Depends how hot it get, I brewed at 12c so right at the bottom end of the scale and then its been conditioning at 3c
I went for it cos I couldn't get Ubbe and it says it's ok up to 21. Just need to hope it doesnt get any hotter than that. Cant see it....

I might try the Hell in an up coming pilsner I have planned instead of Saflager 34 70.,..two packs is just about the price of one of the Saflager...
The Kveik is on dry hop at the moment...hoping to bottle it Friday.

I might try the Hell in an up coming pilsner I have planned instead of Saflager 34 70
I've been seeing loads of people say you can brew 34/70 at room temp at ale pitch rate and it's no different from brewing it at lager temperature with a lager pitch. I'll be giving the same thing a go with the Hell once the one that's doing a trad lager thing is done.

Marshall Schott from Brulosophy doesn't even do their fast lager method any more, he just uses the 34/70 like an ale.

What temp and how long you doing the dry hop?

Latest posts

Back