New CML yeasts

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have used the CML5 yeast. It completely fermented out in two days it was like a Kveik. Used it to make James Morton’s totally tropical and was the best beer I ever made. Brewing another slightly weaker version now. Again

Attachments

• 53816F0F-1D16-4612-9143-CEE9F47310DC.jpeg
    53816F0F-1D16-4612-9143-CEE9F47310DC.jpeg
    13.2 KB · Views: 112
I've set up a google sheet with a list of all the CML yeasts and colums for other manufacturers so that you can, if I have set the permissions correctly, comment on it and add your suggestions as to what these yeasts *really* are. Feel free to add away - if we get some consensus I'll fill in the blanks as we go along.

Crossmyloof Yeasts

I've set up a google sheet with a list of all the CML yeasts and colums for other manufacturers so that you can, if I have set the permissions correctly, comment on it and add your suggestions as to what these yeasts *really* are. Feel free to add away - if we get some consensus I'll fill in the blanks as we go along.

Crossmyloof Yeasts

This is a great idea.

I was a just speaking to Steven at CML about the Gretel hefeweizen yeast. He said he wasn't sure what big brand strain it is (but that it was a cracking yeast).

But might be worth dropping him an email to see if he can let you know any of the other varieties?

Just racked a lager brewed at ambient temps using Hell. Temp ran about 15 to 16 the whole way really. Didnt get to hot. The reason I am mentioning this before I can gove a proper verdict o taste though.....

Look at the way it dropped out... Its like a rather horrifying cottage cheese

20200720_135554.jpg
20200720_134955.jpg

Just racked a lager brewed at ambient temps using Hell. Temp ran about 15 to 16 the whole way really. Didnt get to hot. The reason I am mentioning this before I can gove a proper verdict o taste though.....

Look at the way it dropped out... Its like a rather horrifying cottage cheese

View attachment 29613View attachment 29614
Huh... that's interesting...

I never mentioned it on here but now you say it, I bottled my Baltic Porter a couple of weeks ago also fermented with CML Hell and when I came to clean out the FV I noticed a similar thing. Fermentation seemed to go normally and the beer at bottling tasted fine, but whereas normally you tend to get a very definite layer of yeast stuck to the bottom the the FV - sometimes with some yeasts it's almost like a rubber sheet! - I noticed the same thing with CML Hell, almost like cottage cheese exactly as you say, maybe a bit more granular/finer. I'd kinda forgotten but it was a bit disconcerting at the time. Fingers crossed both our beers are OK.

Huh... that's interesting...

I never mentioned it on here but now you say it, I bottled my Baltic Porter a couple of weeks ago also fermented with CML Hell and when I came to clean out the FV I noticed a similar thing. Fermentation seemed to go normally and the beer at bottling tasted fine, but whereas normally you tend to get a very definite layer of yeast stuck to the bottom the the FV - sometimes with some yeasts it's almost like a rubber sheet! - I noticed the same thing with CML Hell, almost like cottage cheese exactly as you say, maybe a bit more granular/finer. I'd kinda forgotten but it was a bit disconcerting at the time. Fingers crossed both our beers are OK.
It was a bit of putting if I'm honest. When I first opened the FV, I seen three clumps of it floating, that's the ones onw the spoon and I was like oh **** that doesnt look good.

I also thought I could detect a bit of a funky smell. Almost like the smell of a cigar, however I would say that the smell did dissipate and eventually I could just smell lager. I did also recall the pack of yeast Did have a wee bit of a funk about it when I opened it.

So either that's just how Hell is, or we both got bad packs. I am leaning towards it being ok, unless someone else comes in here who has seen this before and says it's an issue.

@matt76 I emailed that pic to CML and they say that it looks pretty normal in their experience of Hell yeast.
Hahaha - so did I!!! :laugh8:

I had an email earlier from CML regarding my recent order so I figured I'd reply and ask him this question, plus another one about Pia. I just got a reply from Steven and he mentioned you had also been in touch - he sent me the same response saying it's normal for this yeast.

Hahaha - so did I!!! :laugh8:

I had an email earlier from CML regarding my recent order so I figured I'd reply and ask him this question, plus another one about Pia. I just got a reply from Steven and he mentioned you had also been in touch - he sent me the same response saying it's normal for this yeast.

Goodness... We look so needy now 😕

I've just finished a dry stout with beoir. I'm thinking of using the yeast cake for a 10%er. The CML website gives fairly generic guidance as to maximum abv but what I want to know is how far you guys have pushed this one...

I've just finished a dry stout with beoir. I'm thinking of using the yeast cake for a 10%er. The CML website gives fairly generic guidance as to maximum abv but what I want to know is how far you guys have pushed this one...
Highly recommend you simply ping CML and ask them this question.

I asked similar about max ABV for "Hell", and also how much to pitch, in my recent Baltic Porter and they were super helpful.

Highly recommend you simply ping CML and ask them this question.

I asked similar about max ABV for "Hell", and also how much to pitch, in my recent Baltic Porter and they were super helpful.
This was the ticket. Steve has responded already. He reckons it'll handle 10% no worries which is around about where this one will sit. Seems to recall another brewer getting 12% out of it. I'll report back my findings.

These blokes are a real pleasure to deal with.

I've just emailed CML to ask them what mainstream yeast the Celtic Beoir yeast is closest to. They replied;

'We’re not entirely sure what it is, but I think Mauribrew draught may the pretty close? Or s04 is pretty close too. It’s definitely nothing like Windsor, or MJ’s Empire '

Now, I don't get that S04 tang that I'm sensitive to from Celtic, and they already have Four, which I assume is actually S04, so do we think that its repackaged Mauribrew draught?

I've just emailed CML to ask them what mainstream yeast the Celtic Beoir yeast is closest to. They replied;

'We’re not entirely sure what it is, but I think Mauribrew draught may the pretty close? Or s04 is pretty close too. It’s definitely nothing like Windsor, or MJ’s Empire '

Now, I don't get that S04 tang that I'm sensitive to from Celtic, and they already have Four, which I assume is actually S04, so do we think that its repackaged Mauribrew draught?
Couple of comments:

Re. Beoir, I can't help with what it is but I'm currently fermenting a split batch ESB with this and Midland so will be interested to see how they compare (also planning to do a Porter at some point so may well do a split batch again to compare).

In other news...

I bottled my Munich Helles yesterday, fermented with "Hell" - left a pretty solid yeast cake in the FV (none of the cottage cheese reported previously by @Brewnaldo )

I was playing with Brewer's Friend earlier and discovered in the recipe builder you can now select CML yeasts, Beoir, Midland, Pia, etc etc etc, they're all there - awesome clapa

This was the ticket. Steve has responded already. He reckons it'll handle 10% no worries which is around about where this one will sit. Seems to recall another brewer getting 12% out of it. I'll report back my findings.

These blokes are a real pleasure to deal with.
To feed back:
1.1 to 1.02 so 10.5% on this one

Gretel is good. Just had a crafty tastes of the one done at 20c and it's got that bananary thing that gives the impression that it's almost slippery. I don't know if it does or it's conditioning that bananas leave you with that throat and gob slime. I've got the high-temp one cold-crashing so I'll update whether it's made any funkatron. I don't think it has.

I bottled my ESB split batch yesterday - half was fermented with Midland, the other half with Beoir. Bit early to say but based on the samples I tasted before dry hopping, and the samples at bottling (which to be fair contained priming sugar as well!) I'd say both are very nice:

Midland - Maybe a touch of fruity ester and seems to accentuate the bitterness more.
Beoir - Much cleaner taste and seems to accentuate the malt more.

Both attenuated very well, down to 1.007 & 1.008 (6 points more than predicted by Brewer's Friend!) - actually this seems to be a common characteristics of all CML's yeasts!

I'd be interested to try Midland in an AIPA actually - assuming it's the same strain as Nottingham then this maybe isn't particularly radical as far as I can make out. But would be interesting to see how it compares to Pia in this style.....

Crossmyloof Yeasts
So far I've only used CML 5 and have to say it doesn't seem anything like US-05. Much more flocculant than the latter, sticks to the bottle like glue - in fact I've had trouble getting it out it's so sticky! Seems to get down to an FG similar to US-05 though.

So far I've only used CML 5 and have to say it doesn't seem anything like US-05. Much more flocculant than the latter, sticks to the bottle like glue - in fact I've had trouble getting it out it's so sticky! Seems to get down to an FG similar to US-05 though.

Sounds more like BRY-97 which is ace and knocks the socks off US-05 for me. I can understand them wanting to trade on the name of US-05 though.

Latest posts

Back