New CML yeasts

Help Support The HomeBrew Forum:

HarryFlatters

Landlord.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I made a black lager with CML Hell and while the recipe was wrong, the clean yeast flavour is actually great. I'm planning on making a Helles on Saturday so I can compare side by side with the Kolsch that's about to come out of the brew fridge.

pms67

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I made a black lager with CML Hell and while the recipe was wrong, the clean yeast flavour is actually great. I'm planning on making a Helles on Saturday so I can compare side by side with the Kolsch that's about to come out of the brew fridge.
I’m about to use the Helles yeast, only problem is I only bought 1 packet and they recommended 2 at 12 degrees, did you pitch 1 or 2?

HarryFlatters

Landlord.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I pitched 2, left it for 2 weeks at 12°c, then raised to 18°c for a few days, then kegged.

You could get away with 1 packet if you ferment a bit warmer.

Steve800

Reaction score
For what it’s worth I made a porter using the Beoir yeast last month, I’ve made the same recipe using 04. The Beoir yeast made a difference in that the malt shone through a lot more. Very pleased with it.

samale

Landlord.
Reaction score
For what it’s worth I made a porter using the Beoir yeast last month, I’ve made the same recipe using 04. The Beoir yeast made a difference in that the malt shone through a lot more. Very pleased with it.
Just started the mash.

Zephyr259

Landlord.
Reaction score
Beoir did very well in our Corncrake clone and it's so flocculant that the beer is seriously clear.

2 packs of Hell got pitched into the Czech Pilsner we made yesterday, fermenting at 12c. Not made a lager in over 18 months and it my mates first one so fingers crossed.

samale

Landlord.
Reaction score
The next CML yeast I want to have a crack at is the Pia yeast
It's the best I have used for a nice hoppy pale ale. I know your not into overly hopped beer. What style have you planned. I have used it a fair bit over the last year

Steve800

Reaction score
Just kegged an APA that I used the PIA yeast on, I have been very pleased with it and will definitely use again.

pms67

Supporting Member
Reaction score
It’s definitely a good yeast, mines fermented out in 3 days and let the hops shine through tremendously

Cheshire Cat

Landlord.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I used their US Pale Ale yeast yesterday and it going like a train, this will finish in 3 days. I'll then leave it so it's had 7 days and transfer to 2fv on Tuesday next week.

MyQul

Chairman of the Bored
Reaction score
It's the best I have used for a nice hoppy pale ale. I know your not into overly hopped beer. What style have you planned. I have used it a fair bit over the last year
A blonde ale.* I'll be doing some knock out hops so I'm hoping the pia lets the flavour of those stand out

Edit * or a cream ale

Last edited:

jjsh

Reaction score
Just a quick update on the Beoir Celtic yeast, the house mild I did with it is excellent. Very malty, especially for a mild that has a reasonable % of sugars. Highly recommended.

The Pia yeast has also made a cracking job of my hoppy golden ale. Very neutral with hops shining through, also highly recommended.

samale

Landlord.
Reaction score
The Pia yeast is my go to yeast for a pale ale. I have the beoir fermenting a porter at the min