New CML yeasts

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've only used Kolsch, US Pale and the Real Ale and won't be using the latter two again. The beers were ok but I prefer gervin/notty/bry 97 and us05 for the beers I made with them.

The Kolsch though was excellent, I pitched two packs straight into the beers I made with it and they produced very good beers.

Here's one, a brown/bitter hybrid thing. This was 9 days after brewing it, 3 days after bottling. You can see it drops quick :)
kolsch.jpg

recipe if you want

OG 1.044
weyerman Pils - 82.3%
Crystal dark - 5.5%
invert no2/3 - 4.1%
Crystal medium - 3.8%
torrified wheat - 3.4%
roasted barley - 0.8%

Hops
Magnum 20g 60mins
wet hallertau mittelfruh 250g 15mins
wet hm 250g 5 mins

ibus about 35 I reckon

crossmyloof kolsch yeast 20g

step mash, 62C 45mins 71C 45 mins

That looks a lovely beer. Did you cold crash or fine the beer in any way. I've always known kolsch strains to be none floccuant and powdery.

Bottling a stout made with beoir yeast today. Attenuation was only 72%. Are forumites finding this typical? (I think it says 75% attenuation on the pack)
I have used this yeast with a Red ale , I really liked it.. attenuation was similar at 74%. Finished quickly, nice malty clear brew

That looks a lovely beer. Did you cold crash or fine the beer in any way. I've always known kolsch strains to be none floccuant and powdery.

Irish moss only as a fining. And a fair whack of calcium in the water iirc

whenever I do a step mash I end up with very good clarity as well.

I've never used a proper liquid kolsch strain, or even brewed a kolsch with the CML yeast, so I'm not too sure how close it really is to one. But I liked it at least :)

Last edited:
The CML Kiwi yeasts a belter for pale ales.

I will second that. The Pia yeast is nice

That's good to hear as I got a pack of it for a Nelson/Galaxy pale, thought it might be better than my standby West Yorkshire or Scottish ale yeasts.

The corncrake clone has been fermenting with Beoir at 16.5c in my mate's fridge for almost 2 weeks when he tested it the other day (day 10) he got 1.016 from 1.045 so only 64% attentuation at that stage, bumped the temp a touch and hopefully it finished out a bit lower.

That's good to hear as I got a pack of it for a Nelson/Galaxy pale, thought it might be better than my standby West Yorkshire or Scottish ale yeasts.

The corncrake clone has been fermenting with Beoir at 16.5c in my mate's fridge for almost 2 weeks when he tested it the other day (day 10) he got 1.016 from 1.045 so only 64% attentuation at that stage, bumped the temp a touch and hopefully it finished out a bit lower.

Give it a rouse too as seems very flocculant. Perhaps a tad more so than notty

Mate tested again last night, 1.012 so 73% attenuation and I see what folks mean about it floccing hard, the sample is totally clear.

I brewed on Sunday night and pitched yeast this morning, I thought it was two packs of CML Kolsch, then after sprinkling in realised the second one was their wheat beer yeast, oops
The temp in the brew shed is 16 degrees so I’m not sure what to expect but might end up decent

Back