New CML yeasts

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know it's the middle of winter but has anyone used Five at or near the top end of it's fermentation range (28C)?

I'm loving Beoir. Has made and excellent stout at low temps. Attentuation seems to stay around 75% .I've used it twice so far, 72% for the stout and 76% for a bitter - I chucked loads of slurry from the stout into the bitter so I think that booster the attentuation further than if I had used the correct amount of slurry

Can't help with Five, but agree that Beior is great. It works well in my house mild recipe; nice and malty.

Deffo my favourite cold weather ale yeast (although I did like the CaliCommon in a blonde ale). I'm hoping the bitter is going to be as good as the stout. Being a lazy bugger I've yet to get around to bottling it (I brewed it on 21.1219)

I brewed on Sunday night and pitched yeast this morning, I thought it was two packs of CML Kolsch, then after sprinkling in realised the second one was their wheat beer yeast, oops
The temp in the brew shed is 16 degrees so I’m not sure what to expect but might end up decent

Interested to hear how this turns out

I know it's the middle of winter but has anyone used Five at or near the top end of it's fermentation range (28C)?

I think it's safe to assume that it's just repacked US-05, in which case it tends to go a bit peachy when warm.

Kinda OT but whilst we're on the subject of dry yeasts, Lallemand started shipping their dry Voss to UK retailers this week.

I think it's safe to assume that it's just repacked US-05, in which case it tends to go a bit peachy when warm.

Kinda OT but whilst we're on the subject of dry yeasts, Lallemand started shipping their dry Voss to UK retailers this week.

I thought it probably would be, seeing as it's called Five (even I can work that one out :laugh8:) but you dont pay shipping cost on CML yeast so if I buy some US-05 from ebay the seller always adds shipping which usually doubles the price

You pays your money and takes your choice - it's noticeable that since Lallemand started taking beer yeast more seriously (it's a tiny part of their business, from memory it's something like 2% of their bread business) they put up the prices significantly but have had the resources to invest in bringing new products to market like New England and Voss.

You pays your money and takes your choice - it's noticeable that since Lallemand started taking beer yeast more seriously (it's a tiny part of their business, from memory it's something like 2% of their bread business) they put up the prices significantly but have had the resources to invest in bringing new products to market like New England and Voss.

They do have rather a good range

For me, the only thing missing from the CML yeast range is a nice estery British ale yeast, like Windsor. That would be great.

Your right. The real ale yeast isnt that good. very malty but no real esters. MJ Liberty Bell by contrast is superb. I made a bitter with no late hops using it and it was fantastic

Your right. The real ale yeast isnt that good. very malty but no real esters. MJ Liberty Bell by contrast is superb. I made a bitter with no late hops using it and it was fantastic

I'm a bit fan of liberty bell. It smells lovely, even when it's fermenting! For a while, it was my house yeast. My next brew will be a sort of Bateman's XXXB inspired best bitter, I might go back to it for that, or use the Celtic yeast. I can't decide.

I'm a bit fan of liberty bell. It smells lovely, even when it's fermenting! For a while, it was my house yeast. My next brew will be a sort of Bateman's XXXB inspired best bitter, I might go back to it for that, or use the Celtic yeast. I can't decide.

I have a bottle of 40 year old (bottle conditioned I believe) bateman's jubilee ale

I have a bottle of 40 year old (bottle conditioned I believe) bateman's jubilee ale

Lucky bugger! If you get round to culturing up the yeast, keep in mind they use Yorkshire squares, so it will be a lazy yeast that will need a lot of rousing and oxygen. And then remember to send me some in a vial :laugh8:

Lucky bugger! If you get round to culturing up the yeast, keep in mind they use Yorkshire squares, so it will be a lazy yeast that will need a lot of rousing and oxygen. And then remember to send me some in a vial :laugh8:

I didnt know that about the Batemans yeast. I've still to use the Gales yeast from the Gales jubilee ale I cultured up last autumn. It got to cold in the brew corner so it's been in my fridge since November. I'll try it out when it gets a bit warmer (probably march/april time)

Latest posts

Back