New CML yeasts

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've used Hog Norsk and made a Artic Pilsner which was great but before I buy more I'd like to try and find out if Lallemand's Dry Voss is any good. I saw it on GEB site but their delivery charge is high for just buying yeast.

I didn't say it was. I'm asking if Lallemand's Voss is any good. I know Hog Norsk is good.

Apologies, I assumed that because you mentioned them both, and were looking for a comparison, that you thought that they were the same type of yeast.

Hog Norsk appears to have similar characteristics as the old Mangrove Jack's M10 Workhorse yeast (note, I'm NOT suggesting it is the same yeast!) in that it is fairly neutral, with perhaps a very slight spicy note, but nothing pronounced like the Belgian strains. I used it in a typical strong Bitter with lots of EKG hops, and it was very nice. It's almost certainly one in my recipe book for when the weather warms up to save me having the brew fridge going full whack trying to keep the FV within normal ale temps when it's hot outside.

Hog Norsk appears to have similar characteristics as the old Mangrove Jack's M10 Workhorse yeast (note, I'm NOT suggesting it is the same yeast!) in that it is fairly neutral, with perhaps a very slight spicy note, but nothing pronounced like the Belgian strains. I used it in a typical strong Bitter with lots of EKG hops, and it was very nice. It's almost certainly one in my recipe book for when the weather warms up to save me having the brew fridge going full whack trying to keep the FV within normal ale temps when it's hot outside.

I liked the MJ WH yeast. It's a shame they discontinued it. Intresting you say Hog Norsk is similar. Might get some for summer

I know there's been a bit of wondering about the CML yeasts and their origins. I just stumbled across this whilst looking at the description of their Real Ale yeast on their website. I thought this passage sounded familiar…

https://www.crossmyloofbrew.co.uk/yeast-specs

"REAL ALE STRAIN CLASSIFICATION: Suitable for English Ales, Scottish Heavy Ales, American Amber Ales, Sweet Stouts and more. A top-fermenting ale yeast suitable for a variety of full bodied ales, with exceptional depth."

https://www.the-home-brew-shop.co.uk/acatalog/mangrove-jacks-empire-ale-yeast-M15.html

"Mangrove Jacks Empire Ale Yeast M15
A top-fermenting ale yeast suitable for a variety of full bodied ales, with exceptional depth. Ferments with full, rich dark fruit flavors.
Suitable for Scottish Heavy Ales, American Amber Ales, Sweet Stouts and more."

That cannot be a coincidence. Anyway, interesting - at least to me. Apologies if this is already known.

Last edited:
The original CML yeast range matched most of the MJ range pretty much 1:1, they were clearly being whitelabelled out of Ellesmere Port one way or another. More recently they've diverged quite a bit, with the suggestion that they're getting most of them from one of the European dry yeast companies.

Interesting. I've used the CML real ale yeast, and I can't say I got any 'rich dark fruits' at all. I'm thinking of using MJ M15 next, so I'll see if it reminds me of it!

I've used the Empire ale also in its incarnation as 'Newcastle Dark' The both had a medium attenuation in the mid 60's the couple of times I used CML real ale, it had a higher attenuation in the high 70's (IIRC)

Currently drinking a bitter made with the Beoir yeast. It's clean but malty, letting the hops come through,especially if you add some knock out hops like I did. Really loving this yeast for a cold weather Bitter yeast (although i first used it in a stout and it did well in that too)if you dont have temp control like me

Currently drinking a bitter made with the Beoir yeast. It's clean but malty, letting the hops come through,especially if you add some knock out hops like I did. Really loving this yeast for a cold weather Bitter yeast (although i first used it in a stout and it did well in that too)if you dont have temp control like me
I have this yeast. I was going to go for a Irish red ale

Started off just using Gervin yeast because it was cheap but then moved to MJ because of the choice but was never impressed but now only use Fermentis or CML which are both fantastic.

Back