New CML yeasts

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
'KVEIK No.1 ALE YEAST' now on their website.

Nearly £4 a pack, so not bargain option like their other yeasts, but I'd like to give it a go in the summer (assuming we get one this year!)

I bought some earlier for summer. Whilst not as cheap as their other yeasts it will still work out cheaper than the lallemande offering as you dont have to pay postage. Of course if you are already putting in an order at say malt miller you could just throw a pack in with your order. But if like me you rarely make order's at online HBS' P&P is a deal breaker. I'm planning to put 1g at a time into a starter (and then probably repitching slurry) like I do with all my packs of dry yeast to make it super cheap

Having watched @David Heath 's vid on the lallemande voss I'm guessing the CML voss is just repacked lallemande as David's vid goes into great depth and their seems to have been an awful lot of work put in by lallemande to produce a dry kveik. Something only one of the big dry yeast manufactures could do

Having watched @David Heath 's vid on the lallemande voss I'm guessing the CML voss is just repacked lallemande

I don't doubt this for a second, but it begs the question, if they have this sort of relationship with lallemande, when is the cheap repackaged Windsor or ESB yeast making an appearance? Hint, hint, CML!! :laugh8::laugh8:

I ordered some of the Kveik yeast yesterday to see what the hullabaloo is all about.

However, as I live in Scotland, getting temperatures >25°C for fermenting might be a tad optimistic, even with a heat belt and a brew fridge o_O

They don't have premises do they? I am about 5 mins walk from Crossmyloof at the moment :)

I ordered some of the Kveik yeast yesterday to see what the hullabaloo is all about.

However, as I live in Scotland, getting temperatures >25°C for fermenting might be a tad optimistic, even with a heat belt and a brew fridge o_O

I make concentrated wort and dilute it down to OG. What I might try is using boiling water for the dilution water, pitch at 40C and wrap the FV up in towels etc. By the time things cool down it hopefully should have fermented out (lellemand says there voss with ferment out in two days when fermented at 40C)

I'm planning to do warm fermentation soon. Big box full of water, aquarium heater and temp controller (I got a spare one - lots of aquarium heaters come with own thermostat) , put fermenter in and hopefully it will keep temp at around 30.

Other thing to remember with kveik is that they are used to fairly high-gravity worts and like lots of food to feed their rapid growth, which means a bit of nutrient can help, particularly with sub-1.060 worts.

I've read this about kviek. I've only used kviek once (opshang (sp) kveik ) and I just chucked some in my usual favoured OG of 1.038 and it worked fine with out any nutrient (didnt know you were supposed to add nutrient at the time). perhaps I got lucky

They don't have premises do they? I am about 5 mins walk from Crossmyloof at the moment :)

No they don't they're based in a bonded warehouse so no public admission.

After brewing with Pia I am now pretty sure it is Llallemand koln brew. Very reminiscent of a kolsch-steam beer and the stats seem to match. Brewed up a pale ale with Chinook, they seem to pair very well.

Just ordered a 10 mixed yeasts to try them Pia, Midland, Beoir, Kentucky, Hog Norsk and Monk s we will see

Back