New CML yeasts

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
After brewing with Pia I am now pretty sure it is Llallemand koln brew. Very reminiscent of a kolsch-steam beer and the stats seem to match. Brewed up a pale ale with Chinook, they seem to pair very well.
Actually after tasting the finished batch I'm tempted to say it's 34/70. Wish these repack companies had a comparison chart.

Would be good if they got some of the non-kveik WHC strains in too. I know you can get them from Malt Miller but they royally plow you on shipping if all you're after is a pitch of yeast.

Last edited:
Has anyone tried CML "Five" yet?

I bought a few packs of these yeasts recently, not used any yet though...

I have Pia earmarked for an upcoming IPA as I see good things about it for hoppy beers...

I also got a pack of "Five", which we all seem to agree is US-05. Has anyone actually tried it yet?

US-05 tends to be a bit powdery in the bottle so even if it flocs out it can easily get stirred up again when you pour your beer - I'm just wondering if CML Five is any different in that respect?

Why would a brand leader like Fermentis sell to CML not going to happen. I've work for 3 brand leaders and they don't make "own brand". No CML have copied brands like Lidl and Aldi do.

Has anyone tried CML "Five" yet?

I bought a few packs of these yeasts recently, not used any yet though...

I have Pia earmarked for an upcoming IPA as I see good things about it for hoppy beers...

I also got a pack of "Five", which we all seem to agree is US-05. Has anyone actually tried it yet?

US-05 tends to be a bit powdery in the bottle so even if it flocs out it can easily get stirred up again when you pour your beer - I'm just wondering if CML Five is any different in that respect?
I've used CML Five, looks tastes and ferments identical to Us05 in my opinion

Thanks, that's helpful. Beyond taste etc, would you say the similarity extends as far as the powdery/easily-disturbed yeast in the bottle?
I would find that with their US pale ale yeast. You only have to look at it and it stirs the sediment at the bottom of the bottle. I haven't tried the five yet.

Why would a brand leader like Fermentis sell to CML not going to happen. I've work for 3 brand leaders and they don't make "own brand". No CML have copied brands like Lidl and Aldi do.
There’s plenty of evidence gathered that they do though, think there’s a very long thread on the us sister site. Doubt cml have the resources for their own lab etc

Would they not have just cultivated and bred their yeasts and sold them as their own?

When i have been talking to CML (about their Saison yeast and Saccharomyces cerevisiae var. diastaticus cell counts) they said to me that they have a European dried yeast supplier who is able to supply them with the high quality dried yeasts at low prices that they can pass on to their customers. I couldn't get anymore than that from them.

I suspect its a pretty decent producer somewhere who doesn't have all the "own brand" overheads and is mass producing dried strains. Going for the old high volume, low cost, sell loads approach. Most of it i would say is pretty great value too.

Thanks, that's helpful. Beyond taste etc, would you say the similarity extends as far as the powdery/easily-disturbed yeast in the bottle?
Hi I moved onto kegs a while ago so I can’t really say but it seems like it’s US05 to me.

I promise you, the big brands sell dried yeast to private labels.

The costs of setting up a manufacturing plant for dried yeast are huge, there's a lot more to it than "just cultivated and bred their yeasts", so the more volume you get through it the better, whilst making it uneconomic to set up a new plant if you're a new entrant. Don't forget that beer yeast is pretty insignificant to someone like Lallemand, it's something like less that 5% of their total sales.

I just checked the specs for Lallemand Voss and CML Voss and they're virtually identical. So CML must be bulk buying yeast from a number of suppliers and repackaging and selling cheaper. Doesn't make sense but looks very likely. They are selling Kveik liquid yeast from Irish company WHC Lab branded in original packaging but not so easy repackaging liquid yeasts.

I tried my 1st bottle of beer using the 'Pia' yeast last night, it's my best one yet, absolutely gorgeous, whether it's the yeast or my recipe just happened to click I don't know but i'm more than happy.......clapa

Doesn't make sense but looks very likely.

It might make no sense in your industry but given the nature of creating dry yeast it makes perfect sense in this one - that's why the likes of Mangrove Jack, Bulldog, CML etc are all repacking dry yeast made by a handful of big companies, it's the norm in this world.

Latest posts

Back