New CML yeasts

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Managed to buy some hops while their shop was up and running. Got a few lagers and Belgians planned over the summer, 450g of Hersbrucker for approx £12 delivered is a bargain

The best for me have been..kolsch,kristalweisen,cider,Cali,I've used loads of the ale and pale and the only gripe is the floc. I've swapped these for notty and 05 although 05 isn't that brilliant. I thought the Pia wasn't bad either.

Great - Kolsch, Celtic, Pia, California Common (Kolsh is better though, both need a decent lagering / cold storage period)

Good - Hog Norsk

Not so good - US Ale and Real Ale

Only just used - Belgian Ale - promising, but side by side with MJ Triple, I think I prefer the MJ yeast.

Im going to ferment warm, as I have no fermentation fridge. Even if I did have a fermentation fridge , I always make starters from dried yeast anyway so I'd just do a bigger starter
I always go two packs with my dries yeast, especially with cml, they are so cheap

I always go two packs with my dries yeast, especially with cml, they are so cheap

Still near enough a fiver. I've got the time time to make starters as I only work part time but not the cash to be chucking two packs of yeast into every brew. I guess unless your a millionaire it's like this for most people - cash rich/time poor or visa versa. I chose the latter because I like pottering around and not working

Still near enough a fiver. I've got the time time to make starters as I only work part time but not the cash to be chucking two packs of yeast into every brew. I guess unless your a millionaire it's like this for most people - cash rich/time poor or visa versa. I chose the latter because I like pottering around and not working
Starters cost money. Plus I am after good beer not cheap beer. My last pilsner had a £9 yeast in it, made a starter for that one, wasn't going to pay another £9 Plus p&p

Starters cost money. Plus I am after good beer not cheap beer. My last pilsner had a £9 yeast in it, made a starter for that one, wasn't going to pay another £9 Plus p&p
When I start using liquid yeast I will be overbuilding the starter. Get at least two goes out of it

Starters aren't expensive if you make it from grain.

As Im sure youre aware cheap beer doesn't automatically equal **** beer and visa versa, a beer with lots of money thrown at it wont automatically come out being fantastic.

Starters aren't expensive if you make it from grain.

As Im sure youre aware cheap beer doesn't automatically equal **** beer and visa versa, a beer with lots of money thrown at it wont automatically come out being fantastic.

Of course not, things can go wrong with yeast starters and £4 odd for two packs of lager yeast isn't expensive. It's not like I am chucking loads of hops in the brew.

I received my order on Saturday and tried the first of these new yeasts, the Beoir today in a stout. I noticed that blurb on the packet said it can ferment up 20 litres at 9% abv. I normally use one pack of yeast for beers up to 6% and two packs for anything over 6%, and sometimes one plus a 6g kit yeast pack if one is available.

I have never made a starter from dried yeast, but always rehydrate the yeast with warm (30°-35°C) diluted wort, half an hour or so before pitching.

I've just taken delivery of some Five, Beoir and a Kentucky.

Noticed that the blurb on the Kentucky pack says its suitable for Kolsch, might have to do a side by side with some K97 I have lying around!

I've just taken delivery of some Five, Beoir and a Kentucky.

Noticed that the blurb on the Kentucky pack says its suitable for Kolsch, might have to do a side by side with some K97 I have lying around!
By coincidence I saw something on another forum yesterday suggesting that CML Pia might actually be the Lallemand Kolsch strain - not as strange (to me at least) as it might sound, but it begs the question what CML Kolsch actually is.

I see they are now doing a yeast called ‘Four’ used for bitter and ale styles, indicating S-04 I would say.
I just ordered one off EBay to do a brew this weekend.

it begs the question what CML Kolsch actually is.

Wasn't there a suggestion that when CML first moved away from a straight 1:1 with Mangrove Jacks, that the CML kolsch was evidence they were now using a supplier on the Continent as it matched a specific Continental yeast quite well? I forget the details now.

Latest posts

Back