New CML yeasts

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree with @cushyno , I've read before that S04 and Liberty Bell are the same, but I would be astonished of it were true.

M36 is slightly fruity, and smells fruity when fermenting. S04 is slightly tart and smells bready when fermenting IMHO. I'm super sensitive to S04's tartness and can often detect it in commercial beer that uses it, while Liberty Bell is probably my favourite dry yeast.

Mind you, I've no idea what yeast it actually is! :laugh8:

@matt76 @cushyno
The reused 'Four' yeast was taken from trub I recovered only two days previously. Both these beers are still in the FV so I have no idea how they are going to turn out. In both cases the fermentation were fairly steady at 'about' 20*C but I didnt use temperature control (and certainly didn't exceed 21*C). However both are beers I brew frequently so will be able to do something of a comparison.
I think the Midland is a Notty type. It seemed that way to me, and packs down really well. I shall certainly be using it again (especially since I have four packs which could equate to 12 brews!).
Hope this helps

Matt, I haven't had any trouble repitching S-04, I think Terry will be fine repitching that if it's fresh. From my recollection S-04 and M36 taste quite different. M36 gave a distictive fruitiness for the first couple of batches that I don't get with S-04. Where did you read that the two were the same?
The internet. I think I read it on the internet :laugh8:

I think it was an American forum but I can't recall exactly - Google it and there are some suggestions along these lines but you might be right that they're totally different. Certainly not trying to put words into your mouth or scaremonger though athumb..

(And since you mention it, I'm working my way through a batch of APA fermented with M36 which has a very nice subtle berry (maybe strawberry) flavour to it)

The general thought on M36 is that it doesn't seem to match any of the Lallemand or Fermentis dry strains, but may well be something like the Mauribrew ale strain. It's a bit of a mystery though.

GRETEL. Hefeweizen Yeast.
Suitable to brew wheat beers.
Attenuation: 85-90%
Flocculation: Low
Fermentation: Ideally 18-30°C (64-86°F)
Max ABV 11% in 20 litres- Pitching Rate: 60g/100 litres

New yeast abounds. I'll be be getting my 9 way split of yeasts brewed at 35c going as soon as it arrives and then do a real wheat with it. Word on the street is that it's different to the kristalweizen and will make a right old banana bomb. Cannot wait.

Last edited:
I have just used the WHC liquid Ubbe Kveik for a pale ale/lager type beer. It went off like a train in 2 hours at 26 degrees and was finished in 2 days. 10 days from start it is completely clear. I have just kegged.Tasted a sample and it was totally clean and very pleasant no off flavours and tasted much more ‘finished‘ than normal at this stage. Very impressed.
How did this one end up? I’ve got this waiting to use but not to sure what recipe to do.

I have an Ubbe winging it's way to me now along with a loaf of pilsner malt and Saaz. Just going to make the most simple of lagers with it and see how it turns out. I also have similar fermenting with the CML hell yeast just now so will see how they both turn out.

I have a kolsch on using the new Kentucky yeast. It's stuck at 1.020.
It was in the garage which might be on the cold side. I have taken it indoors and given it a little shake. Has anyone else experienced this

Just pitched cml no1 voss at 40c third time I have used this no problems attenuates really well and really clean neutral flavours, I will just let it do its thing no temp control
IMG_20200713_201948.jpg

GRETEL. Hefeweizen Yeast.
Suitable to brew wheat beers.
Attenuation: 85-90%
Flocculation: Low
Fermentation: Ideally 18-30°C (64-86°F)
Max ABV 11% in 20 litres- Pitching Rate: 60g/100 litres

New yeast abounds. I'll be be getting my 9 way split of yeasts brewed at 35c going as soon as it arrives and then do a real wheat with it. Word on the street is that it's different to the kristalweizen and will make a right old banana bomb. Cannot wait.

Nice. Would like to hear how this goes. I've been looking at Gretel to do a hefeweizen next brew. Is the difference just lower flocculation than the Kristalweizen yeast? Maybe I'll get one of each and do 2 batches...

Has anyone found the US pale ale yeast to take a long time to floc out, even at very low temps

Is this a NE pale style yeast?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back