New crossmyloof 'Haze' yeast.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cool. I haven't used it for a while as I've been on a yeast journey for my hazy IPAs. London Fog is my favourite at the moment but also had great success with the Lallemand east coast yeast.

I am using the Haze yeast for the first time and it seems really slow compared with US-05. Is it usually a slow one? Beer is temp controlled and under 15psi of pressure

Lallemand had real problems with viability on their dry New England yeast, so assuming the CML Haze is ... "behaving similarly to " ...Lallemand New England, then you've probably got far fewer viable cells for a given weight of yeast and have significantly underpitched.

Its not doing too bad now, just really slow. I found that venting the pressure on the fermzilla rapidly caused the yeast to stir up in suspension, without exposing it to oxygen. It's now down to 1.014. So 76% att and CML state it at 75%

Its not doing too bad now, just really slow. I found that venting the pressure on the fermzilla rapidly caused the yeast to stir up in suspension, without exposing it to oxygen. It's now down to 1.014. So 76% att and CML state it at 75%
What was the final verdict with this @Adam0909 ?

I'm fermenting a hazy with CML Haze at the moment and it certainly seems to be taking it's time.

I have used it a few times now and have not noticed it's slow. Seems to be about the same speed as us-05, which is definitely slower than s-04. Usually it's done in 5 days, it does tend to offgas for a while though.

@matt76 It was slow. I thought it was slower than US-05. I found that slowly rising the temp and stirring the yeast back up into suspension gave it a boost. It finished at 1.011. Its a nice yeast just a bit slow. I'd use it again, but will probably make a starter next time

@matt76 It was slow. I thought it was slower than US-05. I found that slowly rising the temp and stirring the yeast back up into suspension gave it a boost. It finished at 1.011. Its a nice yeast just a bit slow. I'd use it again, but will probably make a starter next time
Thanks.

I actually noted in my brew day thread last night that I checked the gravity yesterday. It turns out that although visually it still seems to be going, when I checked the gravity it looks like it's almost done - really weird, but I'm not complaining! :laugh8:

Yep. Sulphur had gone by the time I came to kegging. Although I only crack the lid when I'm racking to keg. Dropped bright very quickly although I did fine the beer.

Sorry, bumping an old post as it was the only one I could find relevant without starting a new thread (even though off the subject of the thread title).
I made a Lager at the weekend using CML Hell yeast and opened the brew fridge today for a peek and it smells of Sulphur. I’ve only had this once before and that was with a Youngs Cider kit but never with a Lager, though most of mine are Pseudo using MJ M54. I’ve used CML Hell once before and didn’t get this smell but I pitched two packs on that occasion, this time only one. Any suggestions as to how best make sure this smell/taste eventually disappears? Up the temp for a bit, remove the lid??

Hi, this is my go to for british ales,
CML Midland Trent Ale Yeast.

Attachments

• 20210504_110915.jpg
    20210504_110915.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 51
Sorry, bumping an old post as it was the only one I could find relevant without starting a new thread (even though off the subject of the thread title).
I made a Lager at the weekend using CML Hell yeast and opened the brew fridge today for a peek and it smells of Sulphur. I’ve only had this once before and that was with a Youngs Cider kit but never with a Lager, though most of mine are Pseudo using MJ M54. I’ve used CML Hell once before and didn’t get this smell but I pitched two packs on that occasion, this time only one. Any suggestions as to how best make sure this smell/taste eventually disappears? Up the temp for a bit, remove the lid??
It will pass - probably doesn't require any action. I always get sulphur with this one a few days in.
My process is that I increase the temp toward the end of ferment, not to say this helps with sulphur. I never open the lid, no need.

https://winning-homebrew.com/sulfur-odors-in-beer.html
"The best thing you can do is be patient. Long lagering periods usually mellow the sulfury aromas to below threshold levels. But, if you have been patient and given the beer a long cold lagering period and the sulfur compounds are still present, then it is time to look at other things such as yeast strain selection, abnormally low pitching rates due to yeast damage or shock, pitching into a high gravity wort, and low yeast nutrient levels due to high adjunct percentages."

Back