New crossmyloof 'Haze' yeast.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just had a sample of my høg-norsk brewed ale. Appears to be a good neutral yeast, with perhaps a very very slight pepper taste, although the ale is 100% EKG so it might be the hops slight spiciness I'm picking up. So far, seems like a cracking warm weather yeast.

Sounds good. What temp did you ferment at?

The Høg-Norsk absolutely battered through my wort. 89% attenuation and I mashed at 66°c and had Light Crystal making up 5% of my grist. Fermented at 22c. Kegging tomorrow.

Did you have a sneaky taste of the sample? Did you notice a slight spiciness?

I had a taste and no spiciness noticed yet. Fairly clean and balanced but I'll report back once I'm carbed up.

How funny, didn't see this post yesterday when I searched for help for my proposed NEIPA, I bought some BRY-97 for it but what I may do is buy this one and try 2 batches with both...

Have to say I'm not overly impressed with the Høg Norsk yeast. Fermentation went well, but I'm not overly impressed with the finished beer. Fairly muted hop flavour and aroma and a faint phenolic/boozy aftertaste. Fermented bang in the middle of the recommended range. Oh well, all a learning experience.

Have to say I'm not overly impressed with the Høg Norsk yeast. Fermentation went well, but I'm not overly impressed with the finished beer. Fairly muted hop flavour and aroma and a faint phenolic/boozy aftertaste. Fermented bang in the middle of the recommended range. Oh well, all a learning experience.

That's a shame but thanks for posting. I had been tempted to try this one out but I'll probably avoid now.

That's a shame but thanks for posting. I had been tempted to try this one out but I'll probably avoid now.

I've had good results. I've done a lager fermented at the low end - just bottled but tasted good on bottling.
Have also done a coriander lime Greg Hughes adaptation at the high end and a ginger beer at the high end too.

I would say to anyone who's curious to give it a go, but I'm not overly convinced by it personally.

I'd always say to give it a go as you might have different results. The Hell yeast I found excellent. The Høg Norsk beer is still relatively young but it's nowhere near as clean as I'd expected.

Did the Hell yeast give off much sulphur?

About a week into fermentation there was a bit of sulphur when I opened up the chamber. Had completely dissipated by kegging time. A super clean lager yeast.

About a week into fermentation there was a bit of sulphur when I opened up the chamber. Had completely dissipated by kegging time. A super clean lager yeast.

So you're saying you only smelt it when you opened you're fermentation chamber rather than the FV? What I could do to replicate this is put the FV in my brewbag.

And flocctuation. What was this like?It says high on the specs

So you're saying you only smelt it when you opened you're fermentation chamber rather than the FV? What I could do to replicate this is put the FV in my brewbag.

And flocctuation. What was this like?It says high on the specs

Yep. Sulphur had gone by the time I came to kegging. Although I only crack the lid when I'm racking to keg. Dropped bright very quickly although I did fine the beer.

Thanks for the info. Im just looking towards winter brewing. I normally make pseudo lager

It's definitely worth a try. I really really liked it. I'm trying out Imperial L17 shortly as I've heard amazing things. It's the Augustiner strain.

It's definitely worth a try. I really really liked it. I'm trying out Imperial L17 shortly as I've heard amazing things. It's the Augustiner strain.

I brew in my kitchen, in a 'n open plan flat. Mrs MQ would not be happy about fart smelling beer. So need non-sulphurous strains when pseudo lagering

Thanks for the contributions. I’ve got the Pia and Five yeast to try now so we’ll see how they go.

Can vouch for the Pia. Just bottled a MO/Cascade Smash after fermenting at 18.5°c for a fortnight, although fermentation appeared done inside 8 days! Sample has come out clean with the hops coming through nicely. Looking good!

Have a Beoir and a Haze to use. Planning on a stout for the Beoir and something not too dissimilar to what I've just done with the haze, looking forward to it!

Back