New crossmyloof 'Haze' yeast.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a bottle sent in for the September competition it will be interesting to see how it fares. I will post a picture the next night I have a beer. I don't use anything to clear.

Interesting. I've recently moved house but managed to brew last weekend so expect it'll be ready in another week or so.

I finally got round to using the pia yeast. This thing is like a ninja, no krausen at all yet it's taken 1.052 wort down to 1.020 in less than 2 days from pitching. I was going to do a biotransformation dry hop but I've missed high krausen.

I finally got round to using the pia yeast. This thing is like a ninja, no krausen at all yet it's taken 1.052 wort down to 1.020 in less than 2 days from pitching. I was going to do a biotransformation dry hop but I've missed high krausen.
I have pitched the Pia in citra mosaic pale ale. Two days in it has a fluffy white krausen

IMG_20191022_172827647.jpg

Starting to change, nice smell when I open the fermentor

I have a mosaic citra IPA coming out of the fermentor Using the Pia yeast. I brewed a ruthless rye clone last night could I reuse the Pia yeast or go with what the recipe and use us05

I have a mosaic citra IPA coming out of the fermentor Using the Pia yeast. I brewed a ruthless rye clone last night could I reuse the Pia yeast or go with what the recipe and use us05

Yes, just chuck some slurry from the IPA in to the wort for the ruthless rye. You dont have to do anything to the slurry (rinse it etc), just chuck it in there.

I've yet to try the PIA and Haze, but have used 2 batches of the FIVE. The first was a simple pale with Magnum and Taiheke hops, and was utterly delicious! The yeast seemed to take about 12 hours to start after being sprinkled, but both beers were reliably the same. The Krausen was fluffy and quick, and it seemed to chew through the wort pretty quickly. So far I'm impressed, and looking forward to trying the others.

I've brewed a couple of hoppy beers using the HAZE yeast, when bottling the beer has been lovely and hazy but i'll admit that it does clear after a while which is a bit of a shame really.
Both beers have been very tasty though and I do find that if I pour in the whole bottle, sediment and all the beer looks like a proper NEIPA style and tastes better than if I pour and leave the sediment in the bottle......

Pitched a pack of haze over the weekend. Had a very strange ferment, a lot of activity at room temps for first three days then it warmed itself from 16 to 20 and blew off the airlock on day 4. The next day all activity has ended and it's back at 16.

Pitched a pack of haze over the weekend. Had a very strange ferment, a lot of activity at room temps for first three days then it warmed itself from 16 to 20 and blew off the airlock on day 4. The next day all activity has ended and it's back at 16.

no temperature control on your fermentation by any chance?

that’ll explain it.

I've subsequently used the PIA and Haze, and both have been very good. Haze was clean, and not hugely hazy, but different from the Five. PIA was juicier, but still clean. They also started promptly and fermented rapidly. I've got some of the other ones to try now. Still very impressed with them so far.

no temperature control on your fermentation by any chance?

that’ll explain it.
Negative this time of the year I dont usually worry about it. Most tend to blow off earlier rather than later if they do. I was expecting the ferment to be done on day 4 not have one last hurrah.

I am using the Haze yeast for the first time and it seems really slow compared with US-05. Is it usually a slow one? Beer is temp controlled and under 15psi of pressure

Attachments

• haze.PNG
    haze.PNG
    71 KB · Views: 72
Back