New fermfridge but no room for airlock.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dv12

Reaction score
I got a 2nd hand under-counter fridge, which seems to be the norm for these things.
Done a brew today and excited to get fermenting but hit a snag with the airlock on the top of the bucket.

The bottom of the fridge is not flat. There is a big bump where the compressor lives round the back. The shelf is as low as it can go.

Everything I have I assume is standard size. What does everyone else do about an airlock?
Any suggestions? Is there a low profile option or do I really need one?

Any advice appreciated. Currently my AIPA is in there open to the air.

IMG_5028.jpg

I got a 2nd hand under-counter fridge, which seems to be the norm for these things.
Done a brew today and excited to get fermenting but hit a snag with the airlock on the top of the bucket.

The bottom of the fridge is not flat. There is a big bump where the compressor lives round the back. The shelf is as low as it can go.

Everything I have I assume is standard size. What does everyone else do about an airlock?
Any suggestions? Is there a low profile option or do I really need one?

Any advice appreciated. Currently my AIPA is in there open to the air.

View attachment 22379
Blow off tube?

I have a very similar set up... I have the airlock held in place like you have and run a hose from the hole at the top of the bucket to the airlock.

You don't need an airlock but you could either add a blow of tube or make wooden feet for your stand and bring it down a bit to create more room at the top

Ok. I figured a tube would be the solution. Thanks guys.

Blow off tube to a jar/bottle of starsan.

I've found that the tap end of a Young's simple syphon fits airtight into a standard airlock grommet.

*****************************/catalogue/accessories/syphoning/youngs-simple-syphon-650-detail

Blow off tube, there is a lot of trub in that fv acheers.
lol at noticing the trub. All my brews have been like that. Not really sure how to solve it.
I tried adding a mesh filter to the inside of the tap, made from an old flexible hose. But that clogged in seconds and i ended up having to syphon. This brew I tried using a hop sock to filter the wort coming out of the tap, but it filled with hops and trub and detritus in seconds, so I gave up on it.

It will all compact down in the FV anyhow. There was 100g of hops added at flame out so it will all add to the flavour. :)

Hi Dv12 the reason I noticed I am having same problem, next brew I do I am leaving the false bottom out and using a hop spider, I do biab so no need for false bottom also going to take the bazooka off the tap acheers.

Looking at the photo, the shelf appears to be resting on the higher supports, possibly because of the two cross bars on the shelf. If it would fit in upside down (or use a different shelf) on the lower supports, it will give you an extra inch or so, allowing a 2 piece airlock. I had to abandon my bubbler airlocks when I built my fridge.

I made a shelf with legs to match the level of the base at the back over the compressor, so the FV sits half and half on each. Also pic with blow off tube as I just find it safer with one anyway.
the heater is the same as yours and screwed under the shelf with the wiring and controller inside some rectangular PVC duct which is full width. The knob on the left is a variable fan speed control.
Wires exit through a rigid tube straight out the back to the compressor.
Two 60mm holes through the woodwork either side (to miss the FV) seems enough to let the heat up.
102_6333.JPG

Back