New FV for Christmas....but which one?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stevieboy

Landlord.
Reaction score
OK guys - I'm thinking Spiedel 30l plastic or the Mangrove Jack Stainless Steel.....£40 vs £100...your suggestions please?

I am giving the same topic some thought at the moment and I would also include Klarstein and the conical boys, Fast Ferment and Fermentasaurus in the mix.

I am giving the same topic some thought at the moment and I would also include Klarstein and the conical boys, Fast Ferment and Fermentasaurus in the mix.

Petrolhead - I'm only ever gonna brew kits - I cant see the advantage of conical at all - I'm never gonna harvest yeast

Not trying to be an a**e but how are the cheaper buckets riskier? I'll be get another 1 or 2 FV's soon
I've done a low pressure test on my current bucket, and it leaks air - and because I like to do brews that take a long time to ferment, I don't like the idea of it breathing in. I've made wine all my life, and I've always had totally air tight fermentations, and even used glycerol in the airlock, so I can be sure of a sterile environment for months if need be...

I've done a low pressure test on my current bucket, and it leaks air - and because I like to do brews that take a long time to ferment, I don't like the idea of it breathing in. I've made wine all my life, and I've always had totally air tight fermentations, and even used glycerol in the airlock, so I can be sure of a sterile environment for months if need be...
The pressure inside the FV even if leaking out would stop anything from getting in though I'd imagine. Hopefully someone can clear this up

The pressure inside the FV even if leaking out would stop anything from getting in though I'd imagine. Hopefully someone can clear this up
We've strayed from my original post - what I wanted was a bit of feed back on either of the 2 options I was considering, and if anyone had one or could recommend either one...valid point though Skultat280

I have the Spiedel and I love it. I like that you can screw the cap sealed instead of the airlock so it works well for no chill (although it does try to suck the sides inwards), the shape seems to help the trub settle in the bottom, it’s a lovely big airlock and it’s easy to clean.

I have the Spiedel and I love it. I like that you can screw the cap sealed instead of the airlock so it works well for no chill (although it does try to suck the sides inwards), the shape seems to help the trub settle in the bottom, it’s a lovely big airlock and it’s easy to clean.
Thankyou, Sir. I was erring on the side of the Spiedel - all the reports are good.

Anyone worried about the odd nasty microbe getting into a substantially sealed FV with wort/beer in it under a slight pressure is reminded that commercial brewers have used open fermenters for many years, and many still do (e.g Burton Union and Yorkshire Square) and they don't suffer from infections, or if they had open beer fermenters would have been abandoned years ago.

Thankyou, Sir. I was erring on the side of the Spiedel - all the reports are good.
You won’t regret it, I actually prefer it to my Fermentasaurus (although that might be because I don’t have the pressure kit).

ive never had any issues with crusted on yeast/Krausen like I’ve had with the big standard FV, the shower head gets it off no fuss.

Hi Stevieboy

Earlier in the year I got a Brupaks Fermenter 30ltr, perfect seal every time and very easy to clean.
Might be worth a look.

Last edited:
Ss Brewtech has been good for me, maybe a bit pricey though CC2D2E1F-D4A1-4267-84C3-CC36F7469FC8.jpeg

Latest posts

Back