New Graham Wheeler

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Russ H-R

Reaction score
Just got my copy from my local home brew shop in Aldershot. Looks pretty useful. :thumb:

IMG_1297.jpg

The shop i got it from have sponsored the book and they only got it in today. It cost me a couple of quid more than Amazon's price but at least my LHBS get a few quid instead of amazon. :D. Apparantly GW is going to be there soon to sign some copies- if you like that sort of thing ;)

It's the third edition, so a revamp. It's got a lot of new recipes in and has been "modernised" somewhat.

Useful for the recipes alone for me, It's got some corkers such as Timothy Taylor Landlord, Black Sheep ale and Adnams Broadside :thumb:

Best get my old copies on ebay quick before more people hear a new edition is out.

I tracked a first edition that went for just over £26!!! :shock:

I'd be interested in seeing the recipes but i'm not too interested in anything else he'd have to say. Just my humble opinion.

Graham, has presented the information about brewing in a practical manner . . . He has his opinions and ideas but has done a great deal for the craft brewing hobby in the UK . . . . Might pick up a copy myself.

I've got one on order aswell. I used Graham's books to teach me to brew so I'm of getting it just for old time sake and to get the new recipes.

Got mine from the same said shop that sponsored it, Finding it a very good read along with the other brew books I have it is the perfect accomplyment lots of usefull information and as for recepies 100 or so all told plenty to keep me brewing for quite a while.

Ordered it from Farnborough Homebrew shop minutes ago, £15.44 inc. delivery (£12.99 for the book). I suspect this will arrive a little faster than Amazons promises. :)

Mine arrived today, impressed with Farnborough Homebrew. :) As for the book, it's well laid out and I like the nice and easy way it explains how to brew. However, I have my reservations over the recipes, I can't help thinking that all of the recipes assume a very high efficiency as there's no way that I could get some of the quoted SG's given the quantity of grain. Maybe it's just me and my inefficient ways I dunno but the hop additions appear very small for most recipes too....

And I bet none of the recipes have actually been brewed! . . . Mr W has simply taken published info from the breweries run it though his 'Beer Engine' recipe program and published the results. He has raised the efficiency used in the calculations as people used to get stronger worts in his earlier books, and increased utilisation as people complained that the recipes ended up too bitter.

I will treat with caution and run each of the recipes though my own choice of program to get what I think is right for my system rather than follow blindly . . . although from experience following blindly does produce good results

Aleman said:
And I bet none of the recipes have actually been brewed! . . . Mr W has simply taken published info from the breweries run it though his 'Beer Engine' recipe program and published the results. He has raised the efficiency used in the calculations as people used to get stronger worts in his earlier books, and increased utilisation as people complained that the recipes ended up too bitter.

I will treat with caution and run each of the recipes though my own choice of program to get what I think is right for my system rather than follow blindly . . . although from experience following blindly does produce good results

Nothing new there then with GW and his recipe's. :roll:

Following blindly is not something i'm over keen on. Especially when GW quotes a lot of stuff that isn't actually correct or is irrelevant. IMO and a few others :whistle:

I ordered mine from Amazon on tuesday, got it today. There's certainly a few things I'd like to try making in there, but it's a bit short on stout and porter recipes. A few high gravity old ales wouldn't go amiss either!

Woodside said:
I ordered mine from Amazon on tuesday, got it today. There's certainly a few things I'd like to try making in there, but it's a bit short on stout and porter recipes. A few high gravity old ales wouldn't go amiss either!

WTF?!?! I ordered mine over a month ago and I got given a delivery date a couple of days ago as 16th of Feb+

Back