New guy here.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Holmes12345

Reaction score
Hi all.

Just here to introduce myself. My name is Adam from sunny West Sussex.

I've been looking to get into homebrewing for years now! In lockdown I have managed to turn my shed into a bar and even managed to get my hand on a beer font. After doing this I've realised that my main goal will be to have my own homebrew on tap and a few other styles in bottles for friends and family to try!

Got myself a beginners kit from bigger jugs which came with muntons premium pilsner. I've just got it all set up in the fermenter tonight, so fingers crossed I've set it up alright and in the weeks/months to come I've got something nice to drink in my own bar!

Now I've purchased a 10l cornie keg(only have an under counter fridge in the bar which I will be using as a kegerator) and relevant gas, lines etc. I have one question, if I brew my beer and say get 10l in the keg, could I theoretically put say another 5l in a supermarket water bottle with sugar then say in a months time transfer that to the keg? As I say I will be bottling some from the get go as well.

Looking forward to getting into homebrewing and sharing some memories and laughs with the guys and girls in this forum.

Any tips welcome!

Welcome to the Forum.
Try this for tips....
https://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/...de-to-brewing-your-own-beer-from-a-kit.57526/Putting your beer into a 5 litre water bottle and then adding a priming sugar does not seem a good idea to me, especially since the bottle is more likely to have only held still water. Any pressurised beer should be stored in a bottle designed for carbonated drinks.
Two alternatives I suggest are PET bottles which have previously held tonic water or similar. If the bottles are larger than 500ml you might need a serving jug. (If you use glass bottles you will need a capper) or to 'repurpose' a 5 litre minikeg which has previously held beer (long thread here)
https://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/threads/easy-keg-5l.57568/page-88#post-909180 .

Thanks Terry.
I may order myself a couple of 5l mini kegs.
If I was to put in the keg without any priming sugar or a bottle with out any priming sugar could I then transfer to keg and force carbonate with co2 or would this kill the beer in the mini keg.

Thanks Terry.
If I was to put in the keg without any priming sugar or a bottle with out any priming sugar could I then transfer to keg and force carbonate with co2 or would this kill the beer in the mini keg.
Ought to work, not speaking of experience, just gut feeling.

Thanks Terry.
If you are going to keep your beer for more than a few days in anything as temporary storage, you really have to do it where any headspace is as oxygen free as possible or your beer will spoil (similar to cask beer which has a limited life).
In your case if you only want to store 5 litres of beer you could transfer this from your FV at packaging time into a demijohn or similar with an air lock, add a couple of teaspoons of sugar and the CO2 produced by the the restarted fermentation should purge the headspace of oxygen through the airlock. Your beer should then keep until you need it, but you would need to keep the demijohn in a dark place since light can also spoil beer over a long time particularly sunlight.
But if you wanted to try out 5 litre kegs as an alternative you don't have to buy new ones, you could buy a keg from a supermarket, avoiding Hobgoblin since the vent cannot be re-used,more on that here
https://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/threads/5l-mini-kegs.88383/#post-925201And I'm not sure where in West Sussex you are but I know Long Man Brewery sell some of their beer in the right sort of 5 litre kegs because I have been given one, whereas Bedlam Brewery kegs are of the wrong sort although you can buy rubber plugs as I have done so that they can be re-used .

Welcome.
Get yourself down to Tesco and get a minikeg of Adnams Ghost Ship. They used to be £15. You get to drink the beer. Thereare plenty of posts on this forum about how to refill them.

Latest posts

Back