New home-brewer Im hoping

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rico1973

Reaction score
Hello all i'm hoping my wife as got me my first home brew kit for Xmas fingers crossed in just under a week :grin:

Welcome.
If you are starting with kits you might find this useful.
http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=57526
At this time of year reasonable temperature control for your brew is a good idea so you will need to place it in a warmish room while it ferments out, 18-21*C is ideal assuming it's a not proper lager yeast. If you don't have anywhere suitable come back and we can help with some ideas.

Hello and welcome. I'm also new to the hobby and have already had some great advice from the forum. Good luck with the first brew!! [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Got Coopers Bitter with my kit for my first brew shall I just brew this or try and improve it in anyway? I have read and watched YouTube about improving the beer, is it worth doing?

Got Coopers Bitter with my kit for my first brew shall I just brew this or try and improve it in anyway? I have read and watched YouTube about improving the beer, is it worth doing?
It being your first brew it as is then you'll understand why you may need to improve it if you need too.Everyone has there own opinion and pallet so what may be good for another may not be so good for you.This way you'll come to understand the need for change if you have too.🍺

Sent from my ALE-L21

Nearly all one-can kits benefit from a 'boost'. You can dry hop or add a hop tea or steep some grains or do a minimash.
As its your first brew my advice is do it as it comes, as a 'kit and a kilo' which means the kit can plus one kilo of extra fermentables. For the extra kilo don't use all sugar, use 1kg of brew or beer enhancer or better 500g dried malt (DME) plus 500g brewing sugar or better still 1kg DME.
However if you want to go one better still you could try dry hopping. Perhaps 50g Goldings or similar, but as its your first time I recommend a nylon or muslin bag in which to put the hops to keep the hop bits out of the end product.
Finally you might find these useful
Basic beginners guide to brewing your own beer from a kit - The HomeBrew Forum
A Newbies Guide to Dry Hopping Your Beer - The HomeBrew Forum

if having a naff beer is likley to put you off rather than inspire you then you can improve it. It depends where your beer quality bar is already set at?

e.g. if you enjoy cheap piz e.g. f**ters then a kit as is will not be any worse.

if you can tel the difference between a geniune czech lager and F***** and you prefer the czech lager then you may want to improve the kit you have.

for a bitter adding a hop tea will improve it as will using spaymalt rather than sugar also you could replace the yeast. how much or little you do is your choice and down to your tastes, after all if you don't like what you've brewed you've ended up with around 40 pints of the stuff.

An easier way to get a bit more flavour into the kit is to brew it shorter. i.e. don't add the full amount of water to it use a 2-3 litres less. The beer will be stronger and have more flavour.

Whatever you decide, good luck with your kit. It could be the start of something serious :whistle: and if in doubt feel free to ask.

If you like watery weakish beer then do the coopers bitter kit as it is, but I've just done one with a 650g jar of malt extract (Holland and Barrat) added and some extra hops for a short boil and some more for dry hopping and it has come out lovely, I would also recomend throwing the kit yeast and replacing it with something else (simple would be gervin ale yeast from wilko).

I was wondering about a mild spay malt from Wilko's understand it gives the beer a better finish. Never drink the F word, mainly ale drinker unless free the odd larger!

Latest posts

Back