New internet laws articles 11 & 13

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Someone said earlier in the thread they have already tried it and it failed miserably lets hope it does again.

Is this actually law yet though? Still needs to be voted on by the wider European Parliament.

It'll probably stop Joe public slagging off political stuff and other important people who may be a bag of lying barstewards...but won't stop the dark web,crime,terrorism sites and other nasty ****...

Apparently theres another vote on it on July 5th if you want to add you voice to stop it look here https://saveyourinternet.eu/
From what I can tell if it goes through on this forum the mods/owner/whoever is legally responsible for the forum will become legally liable for its content and 1 implication of this is they would have to either block all users posting links on the site, buy a license to have links or risk getting a fine for any news etc links that appear.

Would that be active links? Would for example someone asking anyone used this item eBay number.......be ok?
It would be ok but if the forum does not block all links there is no way to stop potential chargeable links and yes you could put an ebay item no or any info thats not an actual active link..

Just a thought (and a long shot) this is an American owned forum that is hosted in America would that make any difference?

Just a thought (and a long shot) this is an American owned forum that is hosted in America would that make any difference?
If you moved to .com I imagine you would be fine but the details of how it would work is still not determined or even outlined.

Yeah, my understanding is that the laws will not apply to a site hosted outside the EU as I’m not sure how they could. Might be wrong though.

It also looks like there is no problem with linking to other content only with including snippets/content from the linked site, like google does. I guess because it stops people clicking the links if they already have the info they need which means that in some cases, only google profits from content other sites create.

Still seem too overreaching though...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So..all those companies hosting their sites in the EU could avoid this by moving... THAT'S productive! But not for the EU...

As this has only just hit the headlines I guess its anyone's guess at the moment.

Earlier in the thread someone said it's already been tried and it failed I think it's destined to fail again.

So..all those companies hosting their sites in the EU could avoid this by moving... THAT'S productive! But not for the EU...

I think in effect the costs of moving and effect on service for the internet giants would be higher than just ponying up, but I could imagine a lot of smaller services moving...

Seems they are making a pigs bottom of everything...my Mrs has the radio playing in her shop...for this she pays a broadcasting licence fee or whatever it's called....the staff or customers hearing it don't pay to hear it....

Seems they are making a pigs bottom of everything...my Mrs has the radio playing in her shop...for this she pays a broadcasting licence fee or whatever it's called....the staff or customers hearing it don't pay to hear it....

PRS licenses for playing the radio at work are a gigantic con and represent rights holders using government force to get double payment. Radio stations pay rights holders a fee for playing their music based on their audience size. Fair enough.

They then demand employers pay again for the proportion of those listeners who happen to be at work, despite them being included already in the broadcasters original figures.

Massive rent seeking.

Latest posts

Back