New member from Aberdeenshire

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Modman

Reaction score
Hi all

Just following protocol by popping in here to say hi from Tarves, Aberdeenshire. I've been reading posts on your forum for a while so I figured it was about time I became a member. Plus you seem a friendly bunch; decent banter and only minimal diplomatic blips.

I'm new to the brewing game and my experience so far has been limited to a tiny batch of apple cider made last year. Three crab apple trees in my garden gave me the idea, but further research led me to appreciate that if I wanted something actually edible, I would need to combine these with something less tart and tanniny. The result: 3 litres of extremely dry (not enough xylitol), extremely flat (carbonation drop failure) and extremely strong (7.4%) cider, brewed in Lakeland fermentation jars (!) and tolerable probably only to me.

So I'm trying again this year and luckily have had access to around 15kg of apples from a local orchard, which are juiced, campdened and ready to yeast later tonight.

I'll pop in from time to time with some inane questions if that's okay.

Wish me luck

Welcome Sir. We used to have a Crab Apple tree in our back garden when I was young - used to shin up it for my Granddad to make wine with....

Welcome Sir. We used to have a Crab Apple tree in our back garden when I was young - used to shin up it for my Granddad to make wine with....
At least that's the right way around. I'd be concerned if it was your granddad climbing that tree for you to brew the wine. But I'm in social work so I've seen crazier things.

Hello and welcome to the forum. I have been making kits and so far I am delighted with the results. I made a Festival Oaked Apple Cider kit last February and still have 8 pints left. It’s really nice, but at 8% it blows the head off you. I’ve made the mistake a couple of times during BBQ season of having one or two after a few beers, lost the use of my legs. 😆
Good luck with your new batch.

Welcome, freindly bunch here, I have made a few turbo cider batches and they have turned out superbly.
Way easier than brewing from apples, if you want a recipe for a summer fruits cider let me know, the yeast is the key 😉

Latest posts

Back