New member from North Yorkshire

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BobH2003

Reaction score
Hi folks,
Found this site while searching what to do with my brown demijohns.

I'm a thoroughly lazy wine maker, but generally seem to do ok.
Currently the dining table is stacked with bramble leaf wine which tastes a bit sweet sherry like. 3 buckets of Elderberry wine, 2 buckets of blackberry wine, all with amazing tastes despite being so fresh. I shall dj them today if I can get my finger out.
One demijohn with bread champagne,
One dj with banana, strange and very sweet.
One dj meadowsweet.
2 buckets of hawthorn started yesterday. I've done this one since 2018, and everyone loves it. Never managed to clear it though.

There's also several large kilner jars from 2018, 2019, 2020 with the old sloes still preserved in the remnants of gin. Being a Yorkshireman, throwing anything away is anathema, so they've been sitting in the cellar waiting for inspiration which came a week or so back. I'd also made sloe wine which was ok but not inspiring, so I've tipped the sloe wine onto the gin soaked sloes and I've now got an excellent fortified sloe wine!!
I shall try tipping some of the other weaker wines on the other gin sloes.

Welcome onboard. Where in NorthYorks are you dwelling? I'm in Scarborough and a beer brewer but would be interested in starting on the wine if results are good.
God's own country is North Yorkshire! I'm t'other side of the county near Ingleton.
I've been making beer from kits for years, but never tried it from scratch.
Wine making is very easy so long as you go for the simple recipes.

Hi folks,
Found this site while searching what to do with my brown demijohns.
Welcome, Bob.
Treasure your brown demijohns, they're a boon. I wish I had more of them. I've got a pile of elderberry and blackberry wine bubbling away in clear demijohns all wrapped in towels, dark t-shirts and granny's old drawers, just to stop the light from making the colour of the wine fade.

I tried WOW years ago. I think the bottles are buried somewhere deep deep behind everything else. .I might use it for washing brushes
You should try making stout. If it doesn't work out you could creosote the fence with it.

Hi Bob H
Doesn’t doesn’t sound like you’re too lazy as going out gathering all that vegetation to concoct those wines they don’t pick themselves. I remember my mother doing a blackberry wind and gave a couple of glasses to the vicker when he called and watching him stumble up the driveway post quaffing 😂😂😂.
Not yet into full grain as yet but gathering my equipment
Best regards hope the forum is of help to you

Hi Bob H
Doesn’t doesn’t sound like you’re too lazy as going out gathering all that vegetation to concoct those wines they don’t pick themselves. I remember my mother doing a blackberry wind and gave a couple of glasses to the vicker when he called and watching him stumble up the driveway post quaffing 😂😂😂.
Not yet into full grain as yet but gathering my equipment
Best regards hope the forum is of help to you
Glad to see that you and your mam were able to convert the vicar to the true religion. I'll bet there was no turning back for the lad. (Well, if he'd tried it, he'd probably have tripped over his cassock).

God's own country is North Yorkshire! I'm t'other side of the county near Ingleton.
I've been making beer from kits for years, but never tried it from scratch.
Wine making is very easy so long as you go for the simple recipes.
Is it still really Yorkshire if your postcode begins with LA for Lancaster?

Is it still really Yorkshire if your postcode begins with LA for Lancaster?

I am in South Cumbria with LA12 postcode.

1633635468866.png

1633635445808.png

Latest posts

Back