New member from the south coast

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DeepThought

Reaction score
Hi all

New user on the Hampshire coast here, so I thought it only polite to say hello before I start bombarding you with stupid questions.

My experience to date is only with kits but the nice man in my local brew shop has talked me into me to going down the all-grain/malt extract rabbit hole. Consequently I should be taking delivery of a 30L Klarstein Maischfest imminently.

Wish me luck, god knows I’m going to need it.

Hello DT and welcome. Where on the Hampshire coast do you hail from? What kind of stuff have you got planned for your first few brews?

Hi there. I grew up on the Hampshire coast but have since emigrated to Norfolk. Lucky you, having a local brew shop.

Hello DT and welcome. Where on the Hampshire coast do you hail from? What kind of stuff have you got planned for your first few brews?

Hi

I’m close to Fareham, just by the river Hamble.
Keeping things simple to start off, have a single hop pale ale recipe worked out that should at least work on paper. I’ll probably have a few goes at getting that one right before moving on to other things.

Hi! I'm not far from you (SO31); I used to buy stuff from a local shop in Fareham when I was working just by M27 Junction 8, but sadly he couldn't compete with tinternet. and closed down - this was prior to Covid. Where is your local now?

Can't contribute to any AG discussions, I am still at the kit-tinkering stage.

Hi! I'm not far from you (SO31); I used to buy stuff from a local shop in Fareham when I was working just by M27 Junction 8, but sadly he couldn't compete with tinternet. and closed down - this was prior to Covid. Where is your local now?

Was that Keith Pritchard's shop ? 4U2Brew?

The only local guy now to my knowledge is GetBrewing in Portsmouth. Bit of a trek but I work in town so not an issue for me. He’s in the Bridge shopping centre which is attached to Asda in Fratton.

I’m in SO31 too, Warsash to be precise.

The only local guy now to my knowledge is GetBrewing in Portsmouth. Bit of a trek but I work in town so not an issue for me. He’s in the Bridge shopping centre which is attached to Asda in Fratton.

I’m in SO31 too, Warsash to be precise.
Fratton would be a bit of a haul for me, I'm in Netley. (SO31 postcode covers a b.i.i.g area!!)

And the geography here doesn't help. When Rishi was pushing his Eat-out-to-Help-out scheme I took a look on the gov.uk web site for restaurants near me and saw a great looking Thai place I had not seen, which they said was 3.5 miles away. That's if you go by jet pack, it was in Hythe : about a half hour drive :-)

Good luck - fellow klarstein user here - feel free to @ me in a thread if you have any questions, but once I'd got it, I found it pretty easy to use and makes great beer repeatably.

Only trick is to set it to 103c when you want a rolling boil, if you set to 100c it wil reach that then turn off until it drops to 97c before turning on again

Latest posts

Back