New member Hi

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobbyspit

Reaction score
Hello,
I am new to the forum.
A little about myself , I live in Scotland and have made Cider for a few years , getting apples of neighbours and friends and making scrumpy the traditional way and more recently using a bough yeast.

Now looking at brewing my own beer with my liking being a stout or dark ale.

looking for help and advice with all aspects of the brew and bottle stages as I am a total novice in beers brew never having done it before l.

Rob

Welcome to Valhalla, Rob. Many beginners, myself included, start with kits so they can master things like fermentation temperature, sanitation, priming bottles, etc, before moving on to dealing with all the other variables that all-grain brewing entails. While I'm no longer a great fan of kits, my experience was that dark ales and stouts provide better beer than lighter ones and can be more forgiving in the beginning. Also you can enhance any kit by adding malt extract instead of sugar and by experimenting with added hops: hop teas or dry hops.
Otherwise you could go straight into malt extract brewing (this cuts out the mash). I would suggest you get hold of one of the books by Graham Wheeler or by Greg Hughes and give it a good reading. A secondhand one from Amazon is just as good as a brand new one and the earlier editions are just as good as the latest.
Get stuck in and enjoy. Nice long list for Santa, now.

Last edited:
Thanks for the comments and advice guys , I have treated myself and bought a few pieces of kit to help me brew good quality consistent beer. In have bought a Klarstien brew pot and fermenting kettle, it would have been rude not to with the current sale, and I have built an extension on my garage which will be set up for brewing and fermenting, I have a upright freezer from a friend that will be turned into a Ferminator (see chilli chump on YouTube) and I intend to brew my first beer once I have set up my workstation and bought some stock.
Any suggestions to where I can buy grain , hops and yeast ?
Living in Perthshire I have some great water to start me, any suggestions greatly appreciated
Rob

Back