New member Introduction

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OneLoph

Reaction score
Hi folks

My name is Michael, had a few brews in the past with mixed results, getting back into the all consuming hobby again after a few years break. Just ordered some supplies and might be asking for tips etc from the brewing sages herein.

I live in Washington, Tyne and Wear, work as a maintenance technician, try to play guitar, may start coarse fishing soon if home brewing doesn't take over my life.

Previous brews were an outstanding Wilko Cerveza made to 21l with 1kg brew enhancer and a 25g Motueka dry hop, a slightly disappointing Woodfordes Wherry (possible primary fermentation temp issues), an OK Simply Bitter (23l with 1kg brewing sugar) and a very bad beetrot wine (spelled like it tasted) . Going to do a few ipa kits and probably a Stout before maybe venturing down the AG route.

Nice to be here, looking forward to my journey.

Welcome to the forum Michael.

may start coarse fishing soon if home brewing doesn't take over my life.

I have a feeling fishing may go on the back burner for a while ;)

Thanks Chippy, yeah I imagine that'll be the case regarding fishing, not to worry though, one thing I do know is I really enjoy drinking beer but I don't like eating fish (apart from the (very) occasional chippy (fish and chips)) . So at least I will (hopefully) enjoy the fruits of my labours 👍🏻 ps how many brackets in one paragraph? Lol

Oh be warned, the fishing really might need to be paused, this forum is daringly encouraging to the wonders of brewing. Seriously though, a warm welcome- if you are looking at IPA kits then then the Festivsl Razorback IPA kit is in my view really rather fine 😄.

Thanks for the welcome DocAnna, much appreciated.

Fishing will probably be a once in a blue (non brew days) moon. Looked at the Razorback, fancied it but plumped for the Youngs American IPA after hearing nearly all positives, also got a Better Brew Ipa to ease me back in (it was cheap), along with a few additions that should make it better than standard ( spraymalt, brew enhancer and cascade hops), not expecting much so hopefully it will surprise me 🤞🏻

Thanks engineer, I suppose my main aspirations are to brew commercial (or better) quality beers at a fraction of the price. I know I'll have to go AG for this but for now producing drinkable ales is my goal. I'm a bit of a hop head (Neck Oil, Punk IPA etc.) but most beer styles are agreeable 😉

Thanks David, your statement got me intrigued, please tell me more
You're welcome.
Here, there was some major, notable beer competition where the winner was an extract brewer. If pressed, I will search out the specific thread stating this and provide a source.
Basically though, if you do extract and steep grains AND you have all the basics mastered, you can make beer that's as good as those found on the shelves.
Edit: I got curious as to what contest specifically and it was the AHA competition (American Homebrewers Association). He made a lager which are known for not being able to hide imperfections. Important to note: while he did use extract, he also zeroed in his water profile, temperature control, etc. Frankly, those are things I don't do personally. So it wasn't just a lucky beer he made but one with experience and knowledge. And to make great AG beer, the same standards would have to be addressed.
Cheers.

Last edited:
Thanks David, although a lot of that hit air above my heed. I sort of get what you mean. I suppose I'll just plod along with help from the amenable folks here and find what works best for me. Just boils my **** paying at least £3 for a single decent beer which I know (with some experience and assistance) I could make myself for a fraction of that, and I could zero in on my own personal tastes

Welcome Michael. I brewed fruit wine and extract kits for too many years to count and actually enjoyed the wherry kits ( but agreed they can be temperamental) as it was the first kit id done that actually tasted like a real ale. I started AG brewing in 2020 and frankly wish I had started sooner. I bought a cheap all in one brew system and SS fermenter and have never looked back. I prefer “real ale” pulled from a hand pull (with a sparkler and a one finger creamy head- being a northern lad) but I’ve really got into using corny kegs and brewing different styles of beer. You’re about to embark on a fantastic journey so enjoy and good luck.

Thanks ecirpain, think I've got a long and interesting road ahead of me.

Latest posts

Back