New member, new brew

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Victor1982

Reaction score
Hi all

I’m new here, I’m trying to up my brew game due to current climates and having a bit more time in my hands. Done a brew yesterday and I have lots of stuff in my brew I have had this before but not as much, I believe it’s kursen! Is this beer bad, safe to drink when it’s ready really starting to doubt it!

Hi all

I’m new here, I’m trying to up my brew game due to current climates and having a bit more time in my hands. Done a brew yesterday and I have lots of stuff in my brew I have had this before but not as much, I believe it’s kursen! Is this beer bad, safe to drink when it’s ready really starting to doubt it!
Welcome to the Forum.
By 'kursen' do you mean krausen, which is a foam that forms on top of the brew at the beginning of the fermentation. If it is. then it is normal and the sign of a healthy fermentation and contains yeast cells and perhaps some solids that were present in the wort. Krausen usually subsides back into the beer towards the end of the fermentation and some of that leaves a scum line around the side of the FV which you leave alone, or it drops back into the beer and settles at the bottom as 'trub' which, as much as possible, you avoid transferring into your bottles or bulk storage.
You may also find this helpful whether you are doing kits or grain, the basics are are the same
Basic beginners guide to brewing your own beer from a kit - The HomeBrew Forum

Thanks for your reply I’ve tried to upload a picture to show what I have.

1585999655933.png

Last edited by a moderator:
No there’s lots floating around inside and sitting on top of my brew looks lumpy! Brew was just a Belgium recipe I followed one I’ve done before and was a success

Wait until you see all the brown sludge at the bottom of the bucket after fermentation, :laugh8:looks disgusting, but you'll still end up with lovely beer!

Looks like a healthy ferment, downside I suppose of clear fermentor is you can see all the crud with perfect clarity (Why I like stainless steel).

Thanks for all the reply’s beer is looking better already and is the first time using my femzilla so seeing my brew in a whole new light! Really nice to know others are here to help! Is there anyone on here from the Bexley area?

Latest posts

Back