New member saying hello...

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DarkIsland

Reaction score
New member from Scotland, been brewing for 30 years...ish from the old Boots Tom Caxton kits to all grain these days. I'm no expert (except in disasters) and my equipment is all Heath Robinson but still churns out decent beer.

Look forward to contributing.

Thanks all for the welcome, much appreciated.

Exactly as it should be. Welcome. What sort of stuff do you like drinking and brewing?

I'm not fussy really, everything from a light bitter hoppy pale ale to malty porter to a barleywine. I'll have a go at most things, I'm not a great fan of lagers or fruit beers but other than that I'm easy to please. The local water really suits dark strong ales, porters, sweet stouts so I am just at the beginning of understanding water treatments to see if I can improve my IPAs and such like.

The local water really suits dark strong ales, porters, sweet stouts so I am just at the beginning of understanding water treatments to see if I can improve my IPAs and such like.
It’s amazing how the water supply can be so variable - I’m about 30miles from St Andrews and our water is best suited to pale ales and lagers.

It’s amazing how the water supply can be so variable - I’m about 30miles from St Andrews and our water is best suited to pale ales and lagers.
I know, it's crazy. Where I am we used to get Dundee water when it was piped across the bridge and it's among the softest in Scotland. Now we get Lomond Hills water which is full of 'stuff'. Swings and roundabouts I suppose.

I've just got hold of a reverse osmosis kit so I can start with a base of effectively zero. Hoping to see a difference because I do really enjoy a big hop forward pale ale.

I know, it's crazy. Where I am we used to get Dundee water when it was piped across the bridge and it's among the softest in Scotland. Now we get Lomond Hills water which is full of 'stuff'. Swings and roundabouts I suppose.
Next time I want to make a dark beer I’ll remember to go over to my wife’s uncle’s house in Glenrothes with a 20L water carrier!

You'll need a few of those. As well with a trailer and 500l IBC tank. Now that would keep you going a while...
I’m not a massive fan of dark beers so 20-30L would be fine. I’ve only done anything darker than an amber ale 3 times - a Christmas beer, a stout and a Dubbel, and the latter doesn’t use the same water profile as British dark beers.

Latest posts

Back