New member seeking advice

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

toclark

Reaction score
Hello All,

I am a new brewer who is keen to learn as much as possible about all aspects of brewing.

I've brewed 10 batches of beer so far, with the aim to make a gallon batch every week. I've been alternating between; pale ale, strong brown ale, stout and IPA with the objective to be to learn from the previous batches before brewing the next.

My main problem at the moment is around head retention and the forming of.
My method is as follows:
Mash at <65oC for ~90 mins
Boil for 90 mins adding all of my hops at the beginning of the boil
Primary fermentation for 2 weeks, Secondary for one.
Bottle conditioning for 1 week although I've decided to stretch this to 2 weeks.
Priming bottles with 7g sugar/litre

Does anyone have advice for head retention?

Thanks a bunch,

Tony

Hello All,

I am a new brewer who is keen to learn as much as possible about all aspects of brewing.

I've brewed 10 batches of beer so far, with the aim to make a gallon batch every week. I've been alternating between; pale ale, strong brown ale, stout and IPA with the objective to be to learn from the previous batches before brewing the next.

My method is as follows:
Bottle conditioning for 1 week although I've decided to stretch this to 2 weeks.

Thanks a bunch,

Tony

Adding wheat in the form of torrified or malt wheat is usually the suggestion for head retention. 159g in a 5 gallon batch would equate to about 30g.

If 30g of speciality grain is too big a faff, in one gallon, I have read about brewing up using leftover toast. Cut the cold toast into small cubes and add to the mash.

Head retension can also be affected if glasses etc have any residual washing up soap on then. Wheat really helps.

Sent from my SM-T555 using Tapatalk

Hello All,

My method is as follows:

Thanks a bunch,

Tony

Have you tried conditioning your bottles for a while longer as I know the longer I've left mine the better the head retention and carbonation:thumb:

Without knowing your recipe it would be hard to steer you in a good direction.
The advice I can give you is too stick to one recipe and each time tweak it for a better outcome. That way you'll get to see what each item does to the beer.

When I first started out I had the same problem. For me I found the best way to get good head on a beer was patience. 2weeks in FV, 2 weeks carbonating at same temp as FV and 2 conditioning somewhere in the house that is a good bit colder.

The longer I left it the better it was

Latest posts

Back