New member thinking of starting brewing from grain

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

norrie

Reaction score
Hi there,

I have been brewing beer from kits for a while and have now got Corny kegs, co2 bottle fridge etc and where I've had some success doing it from kits I quite fancy doing it from scratch.
So my question is how much extra kit do I need? I was thinking of buying an all in one system but don't want to break the bank. I came across this site tonight and it looks a bargain.
https://www.klarstein.co.uk/Home-ap...Z3yJTkFTiditIwvLvAZIjPVRbj6WHd-BoCDUcQAvD_BwE

Is it to good to be true and what other equipment would I need?
Any help is most appreciated.

Thanks.

Norrie.

Hi there,

I have been brewing beer from kits for a while and have now got Corny kegs, co2 bottle fridge etc and where I've had some success doing it from kits I quite fancy doing it from scratch.
So my question is how much extra kit do I need? I was thinking of buying an all in one system but don't want to break the bank. I came across this site tonight and it looks a bargain.
https://www.klarstein.co.uk/Home-ap...Z3yJTkFTiditIwvLvAZIjPVRbj6WHd-BoCDUcQAvD_BwE

Is it to good to be true and what other equipment would I need?
Any help is most appreciated.

Thanks.

Norrie.
I have read on here that a few members have bought that or a similar all-in-one unit, and it does what it needs to do, i.e. it turns water, grain and hops into fermentable wort. There are other, more expensive all-in-one's and you get what you pay for in terms of build quality, convenience, longevity, customer support etc.

What other equipment would you need? As much or as little as you want. I would recommend weighing scales for grain and hops, a sturdy and decent sized jug (4-5l capacity), a stirring paddle (preferably stainless steel), a decent thermometer, a means of heating 15-20l of sparge water to 75°C (e.g. a large stock pot or s/h tea urn) and an immersion chiller.

I would also recommend, if you don't already have one, a decent book on home brewing; Home Brew Beer by Greg Hughes or Brew by James Morton both give all round picture. Oh and keep reading this forum for tips and advice. Beyond that the sky's the limit.

Hi Norrie, I have a klarstein the biab one had it just over 6 months now done a fair few brews in it not had any trouble with it, the only thing I would say is get a decent extention my kettle tripped the first time I used it not good when it has 27L of hot wort in it and the reset button is underneath, I bought just a single plug one of amazon never had a problem since cant remember the name but its bright orange, happy brewing and welcome acheers.

Hi Norrie, I bought the Brewster Beacon last year and have made 9 brews in it and all have turned out ok. As said you get what you pay for , happy brewing.

Tell us what you've got so far, that'd be a good start.

Sounds like you'll need a way to heat sparge water at least, possibly hop spider or similar, temperature control, thermometer - it all depends on what you already own...

I've got a big gas range cooker and got some big pots. Got a thermometer. What's a hop spider?

Norrie.

Welcome!

I started with a blue plastic drum fitted with a kettle element, two plastic FV’s (one with holes drilled in it) as a mash tun, and a home made immersion chiller. About £120 and some DIY skills to get brewing from grain. It can be done on a budget acheers.

Sod all the over priced pointless equipment for all grain brewing (though I fully respect the freedom of choice and opinion others have over all grain equipment & process etc). All I really invested in was a 15 litre stock pot, £20 odd, and a big hop sack for draining\filtering etc. And has served me well in several all grain brews. Obviously a somewhat more labour intensive way, but cost against attention etc.

Sod all the over priced pointless equipment for all grain brewing (though I fully respect the freedom of choice and opinion others have over all grain equipment & process etc). All I really invested in was a 15 litre stock pot, £20 odd, and a big hop sack for draining\filtering etc. And has served me well in several all grain brews. Obviously a somewhat more labour intensive way, but cost against attention etc.
I've done it your way and the way I do it now with a Brewster Beacon all in one and I prefer it the way I do it now as the day just runs so much easier but saying that I'm not on a budget.

I've got a big gas range cooker and got some big pots. Got a thermometer. What's a hop spider?

Norrie.
I've graduated to a Calor Gas burner (well the French equivalent) and some even bigger pots, but in this weather usually prefer to brew indoors on the cooker in 12 litre batches. I've sort of acquired a Hop Spider, but never used it. What's it for? Haven't got a cat.

What's a hop spider?
A hop spider is an eight legged arachnid............Seriously, it's a meshed vessel that you put into the boiling wort hanging from the side/top of the pot and you add the hops into that vessel so you keep most of the hops away from the bottom of the pot so they don't burn or away from the pump in an all in one like mine.

th

I quite agree with you. I can see that they have their place, for example when space is at a premium, but I don't use a bread maker either, and for the same reasons.

I quite agree with you. I can see that they have their place, for example when space is at a premium, but I don't use a bread maker either, and for the same reasons.
Yeah, it's like what's your cut off point for what your willing to spend on equipment against the number of brews your actually likely to do per year?. For me, space is certainly a premium and the last thing I want is expensive (though budget is relative to income) equipment littering the place that I'm only ever likely to use several times a year and serves little other purpose than brewing. At least with my 15 litre stock pot, well bulk chilli sessions, stews, curries, would and countless other uses. My stock pot has long since paid for himself with countless uses.

At the end of the day this is a hobby for most of us, and if I can't enjoy it due to equipment costs then what's the point in getting into it in the first place?. And time aside, I much prefer getting hands on at all stages and that's so easy to do with a simple stock pot alone.

A hop spider is an eight legged arachnid............Seriously, it's a meshed vessel that you put into the boiling wort hanging from the side/top of the pot and you add the hops into that vessel so you keep most of the hops away from the bottom of the pot so they don't burn or away from the pump in an all in one like mine.

th
No its not a hop sider is an arachnid with 3 legs missing clapaacheers.

I use a klarstein recirculation brewer (same as the brewdevil https://www.angelhomebrew.co.uk/en/...html#/73-wort_chiller-none/76-hop_spider-none ) .
It makes all grain brewing a pleasure and means that you can do it in a smallish space.
The only concern I have is that the PCB failed after two years use and I couldn't get one from Klarstein.
However, Angel Homebrew had the part I needed, so in future I will buy from them for the after sales support.

Latest posts

Back