The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hill1649

Reaction score
Hi, I've just joined the forum and am looking forward to regular chats as well as giving and receiving advice on the art of home brewing.

I've been brewing beer (and wine) over many years although I've had quite a long break and just got back to it in the last 2 years. I brew from scratch - full mash - as I enjoy experimenting and do at least 3 brews a year of 5 gallons of stout and 5 gallons of bitter in one go. My current brew is taking a bit of time to clear properly so I'm seeking some assistance with sorting this problem out, especially as it's been brewed for a party that's happening in 3 weeks time! My next brew is going to be a bitter with added elderflower - light and refreshing for summer drinking i hope - anyone else tried adding elderflower to their beer?

:drink:

I think it's quite remarkable how many people joining the forums are “just getting back into” winemaking or brewing after a few years away, my own rate of production declined over a few years and then stopped altogether for about 15.

Welcome to the forum :cheers:

The elderflower brew sounds interesting, what quantity of flowers are you talking about?

I am not sure how much elderflower to add. My trusty wine recipe talks about 1/2 oz per gallon and I'm making 5 galls of beer so am considering adding 2 - 2 1/2 ozs. I am also not sure whether I should add it at the mash stage or add at the hop/boil stage and whether to add it with the main lot of hops or for the last 10/15 minutes! Decisions, decisions. At some point in the next 4-6 weeks I'll just take the plunge, get on with it and see what happens. I'll post the recipe when I do.

:drink:

Steep it during cooling . . . don't boil it or you'll loose the aromatics. . . . I'd possibly even go for adding to the FV, but I'm not convinced on that . . . and I'm not a lover of strange things in beer :lol:

Welcome to the Forum H1646.
As Moley says, it's amazing how many are returning to Home Brewing.
I hope your brewing spirit is re-kindled

Latest posts

Back