The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jimmy TS

Reaction score
Hello Everyone, just saying hello, my Name is Jim and i am 64 years young, i have recently upgraded from Kit brewing to allgrain, i have brewed for quite a few years on and off,
My Brewing kit consists of a cheapo Guten all in one brewer, Grainfather Sparge heater,and a Maltmiller 165kw plate chiller, i am a complete novice but have so far managed to brew some pretty tasty beer, especially compared to when i used to brew kits, I ferment in a samsung upright fridge freezer converted using stc 1000 temp controller, i also have a 14' x 8' summerhouse with bar and three tap keeezer underneath, this i call the white dog inn.

Hi Jim. Welcome to the forum. I too am a newbie, having only joined yesterday. They seem to be a friendly bunch on here. I like the sound of your summerhouse/bar! I could do with something like that. All I have is a 6 x 4 foot shed! lol.

Hi Jim. Welcome to the forum. I too am a newbie, having only joined yesterday. They seem to be a friendly bunch on here. I like the sound of your summerhouse/bar! I could do with something like that. All I have is a 6 x 4 foot shed! lol.
Hi mate Thanks for the reply, I brew in a brick outhouse which measures around 7 x 5 so not much space really, i got the summerhouse on ebay, £1250 + £90 delivery and erection, pretty cheap really, ive only done around three allgrain brews so far but have been surprised in the results compared to kit brewing.

Welcome Jimmy, Welcome to the forum and glad the AG is going well. Don't be dazzled by the bright shiny kit that's on the market unless you really want it- the stuff you list above is more than adequate, especially if it works. Brewing on the cooker, fermenting in a bucket and cooling in the bath has no effect on the quality of the beer, it's your skill, technique and experience that do that. What sort of stuff do you brew and drink? Would love to see a picture of the white dog inn, and the white dog.
Post #5 sounds amazing. Looking forward to the photos.

Last edited:
Hi mate Thanks for the welcome, i Like to brew lagers and Guinness, i like a nice pale ale , i am just waiting for some yeast to arrive and will be brewing a Kristallweizen next weekend, i cannot believe the difference in allgrain and kits, i have brewed many kits on and off, my particular favourite was a Festival Newzealnd Pilsner, its a lager but tastes more like a fruity pale ale, it has to be one of the best kits i have ever brewed and would reccomend to any pale ale drinker to try it, as for the white dog, i purchased it last November, and insulated it, and my son installed all the electrics as he is a qualified leccy, he even made the lights out of Mason jars, i built a bar from scratch, originally i made bench seating but it was uncomfortable, so i convinced the wife we needed a new sofa and i took the old one, which is a three seater recliner, my son gave me a 42" lcd telly and i wallpapered it in a blue plank pattern and red brick, it looks pretty nice when sat there with a pint, i also made myself a little pub table from an old pallet, ill post some pics this afternoon, thanks again for the welcome, regards Jim.

Hello Everyone, just saying hello, my Name is Jim and i am 64 years young, i have recently upgraded from Kit brewing to allgrain, i have brewed for quite a few years on and off,
My Brewing kit consists of a cheapo Guten all in one brewer, Grainfather Sparge heater,and a Maltmiller 165kw plate chiller, i am a complete novice but have so far managed to brew some pretty tasty beer, especially compared to when i used to brew kits, I ferment in a samsung upright fridge freezer converted using stc 1000 temp controller, i also have a 14' x 8' summerhouse with bar and three tap keeezer underneath, this i call the white dog inn.
Hi and welcome to the forum and by the looks of your introduction you're not such the novice after all 👍👍

Hi thanks for the welcome, i have brewed kits on and off for forty years, but only started all grain brewing late last year, i have only done around 6 allgrain brews to date, so i consider myself to be a complete novice, some of my equipment is yet to be used for the first time.

Converted fridge.....I don’t know if that’s original but it’s a great idea.

Converted fridge.....I don’t know if that’s original but it’s a great idea.
i think its quite common in homebrew terms, it was a fridge freezer originally with a single compressor, so the problem i had was stopping the freezer from freezing the beer, i had to block most of the vents in the freezer to block and limit the amount of cold air coming into the freezer, also to equalise the temp in the fridge compartment i installed a fan to pull cold air up from the freezer, which is controlled by a seperate stc 1000, so when the freezer reaches temp, the fridge fan continues to draw cold air up from the freezer until the temp is equalised, its a simple idea really, but it works great for bottom fermenting yeast at low temps.

Back