The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beermonster66

Honest mister, a'am no really a welder!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Evening all!
I've been lurking on the forum for a while now and decided it was high time to get on board. I last tried brewing at home over 20 years ago. It was a dismal failure. If I knew half of what I know now back then, thanks to this forum, it might have been a different story. Anyhow, I got a starter kit from Bigger Buckets back in May, St. Peters IPA. A bit disappointing TBH, but I'll chalk that off to inexperience. Next up was a new FV for a batch of Festival Razorback IPA. Again, not great, especially after the excellent reviews on here. I'm now sampling my 3rd batch, Youngs AIPA. Wow! Just wow! Night and day compared to the Razorback. I invested in a 2nd FV and have gone a bit gung ho, setting off a MJ AIPA and the new Festival AIPA within a few days of each other. I expected the Festival to take around 3 weeks in primary, based on my experience with the Razorback. Blow me down with a feather! It's only finished after 3 days when the kit says 5! Rookie error, didn't take OG but the SG last night was 1.012 or thereabouts. Bunged in the dry hops and will wait a few days before batch priming & bottling. The MJ also looks as if it's finished as well, after 7 days, bang on the kit guide. Going to dry hop that tonight. Happy days! I've got an Evil Dog Double IPA to do once I've had a rest and enjoy some of the fruits of my labours. Glad to be in the light at last.

Hi there yes that youngs AIPA really switched me on too excellent kit compared to the ones 20 years ago. I just got Into brewing as a bit of something to do In lockdown after a break of maybe 30 years my how things have changed. I can really recommend the MJ juicy as you probably know patientce is the key even though fg is achieved within a few days try leave it a couple of weeks to really clean up. I got carried away with it all three temperature controlled fridges, grainfather,kegs, kegerator and so on and making some incredible beers.
Still love extract kits to keep the ball rolling when I don't have time for all grain brew. What a great forum this is all the answers are here. Happy brewing.acheers.

Hi there yes that youngs AIPA really switched me on too excellent kit compared to the ones 20 years ago. I just got Into brewing as a bit of something to do In lockdown after a break of maybe 30 years my how things have changed. I can really recommend the MJ juicy as you probably know patientce is the key even though fg is achieved within a few days try leave it a couple of weeks to really clean up. I got carried away with it all three temperature controlled fridges, grainfather,kegs, kegerator and so on and making some incredible beers.
Still love extract kits to keep the ball rolling when I don't have time for all grain brew. What a great forum this is all the answers are here. Happy brewing.acheers.
Thanks for the advice Split. I'll let both brews sit for a while before bottling. The Festival has actually kicked off again after adding the hops but I've read on here that that's quite common.

Hi and welcome to the forum. Had purchased a woodfoordes wherry a few months back as part of a beginners kit and thoroughly enjoyed it so whilst visiting Manchester I went to wilko and grabbed another plus a few added extras to take home to Northern Ireland.

Hi

Enjoy your kits nothing wrong with them, but I would use a good yeast.

I am still making good beer using pale LME hops and yeast, sometimes I add some brown sugar and rotate the hops. Two plastic FV, a cignet boiler and 5 Litre party kegs works for me. 5 gallons to rack today, 3 gallons fermenting and 3 gallons to drink.

I never lose either I win or learn

Happy brewing

Latest posts

Back