New nanobrewery coming along

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trom-man76

Reaction score
Hi all,

Been busy converting my garage into a nanobrewery. Build is coming along - see. Pics.
I Do BIAB using 100 litre pot and propane burner but upgrading to 200 litre pot with steel mesh basket instead of grain bag.
The. Long wall with sockets is where my fermentation cabinets will go and also cooler for kegs.
Adjacent room will be where i store all grain. Next to the shelving i have a fridge/ freezer for hops and yeast.
Going through all the paperwork required now but got planning and sewage discharge sorted. When building complete will get in council for safety inspection. Just setting up as sole trader, informing hmrc and getting other licences.

I would like to thank everyone in HBF for there advice and help this last year cheers

31236465-0315-4E8E-91FB-1067E9B6BBA2.jpeg
6C4C884D-8856-44DE-A3A2-A02750BABC85.jpeg
D6532FA2-4590-4B33-A553-C431E6A1B33D.jpeg
10312775-A2F4-4FB6-9757-D91C22CC9D88.jpeg
14A339C6-4072-47B0-B2BF-0A1125C52068.jpeg
2C70FB27-F084-499A-81C5-767589ACF822.jpeg
6634E35C-75C3-4246-9116-A958EA4F085D.jpeg

Looks great & good luck. Out of interest do you see it as a pilot brewery, a hobby commercial brewery or a bit of extra cash on top of a full time job or something else? Also what elements do you plan to use for the boil?

Hi simon12
Am setting up two years before 55 and hoping to be able to go to part time when i reach 55. Looking to tthe future and give me a hobby in retirement that i can do at home, that i love doing and that will still keep a little pocket money coming into the bank.
Live of the beaten track but have 5 pubs within 3 miles of the house which are wanting to sell my beer - so have an outlet for my beer.
So its a hobby commercial brewery i suppose - with my 200 litre kettle heated with a propane burner.

Sounds great, you should be able to make £150ish per brew day assuming your making 4 casks and having 5 customers in 3 miles you can hopefully do 2 or 3 brews a week subject to fermenters. Good luck and please post more pics when you have the brew vessels in.

Hi.
Well done. Great work.

What were the requirements from water and sewage people.

I’m doing the same as You and going through all the paperwork now.

Many thanks.

Si.

Hi Si

contacted my water/sewage company and explained what was doing. There discharge man got his dept to e-mail me a 20 page document to fill-in!!
luckily he dropped in to my house and helped me fill in the form - would have been bloody impossible if me had not. They will send me a letter stating they know what I am doing but because it is such a lower discharge volume into the sewer there will be no cost to me - the bugger is they are charging for the letter and the cost for not charging me is £140!!!!!!!!
sent him away with 4 samples of beer but still no drop in £140 as the water company have out sourced all the paperwork!

Trouble is I need the letter for the council when they come and inspect the premises for food safety so again I have to cough up and smile!

I can send you my filled in forms if you like? My water supplier is Severn Trent so don't know if your supplier will use the same paperwork (or charging system) but might help you out.
Just sending of for sole trader registration - is that the route you are doing and what size brewery are you doing?

all the best and good luck

Portreath

Yep building a carcase out of 4x2 and infilling with kingspan insulation board (which my builder friends have sourced for me!)
Have a 5 foot bar heater (Christmas pressy) to heat (18oc) controlled by an inkbird controller (another pressy). I am building the cooler adjacent to the fermention chamber which will be cooled (13oc) by a refurbished undercounter fridge (will take door off and build it into the structure). this will be controlled by another inkbird controller.
My plan is to have inline fans between the two chambers so that if the fermentation chamber gets too hot the fan will click on and draw air from the cooler and visa versa - do you all think this will work?
Was hoping with the above system that I only have to have one heat source and one cool source - only problem is if one breaks!
The fermentation chamber will hold 14 x 30 litre buckets and the cooler is roof height so should be able to get 16+ casks in it.
Looking at building so that I can change to 121 litre brute buckets on casters (can get 8 of them in) to give me flexibility if my venture is successful.

any advise is welcome please

I am going by Godstone brewery later who have a similar system, I will ask them how theirs works and let you know.

Wow, well done. Going down the same route (but in our house) Planning nearly finished, applied for building warrant, engineer involved.

I was interetsted to know where are you are sourcing your 200l mesh basket? My next stage is 200l and the Cammurri brauer (£££) or Brewmeister (£££) were the only BIAB systems I could find?

Looks great! Be interested to hear how such a large BIAB brew works, your brews will be about 10 times the size of my BIAB efforts! :laugh8:

Druncan and SteveH

Check out slow roll mike electric brewery on you tube - that is the basket and kettle i am going for - but not electric
Have a brew equipment manufacturing company 3 miles from me and waiting for quote for kettle and basket manufacture. Found them in usa from above you tube - lists parts and price but tooooo expensive to post
If the quote is ok will let you know Druncan

Hi Si

contacted my water/sewage company and explained what was doing. There discharge man got his dept to e-mail me a 20 page document to fill-in!!
luckily he dropped in to my house and helped me fill in the form - would have been bloody impossible if me had not. They will send me a letter stating they know what I am doing but because it is such a lower discharge volume into the sewer there will be no cost to me - the bugger is they are charging for the letter and the cost for not charging me is £140!!!!!!!!
sent him away with 4 samples of beer but still no drop in £140 as the water company have out sourced all the paperwork!

Trouble is I need the letter for the council when they come and inspect the premises for food safety so again I have to cough up and smile!

I can send you my filled in forms if you like? My water supplier is Severn Trent so don't know if your supplier will use the same paperwork (or charging system) but might help you out.
Just sending of for sole trader registration - is that the route you are doing and what size brewery are you doing?

all the best and good luck
Crikey!

Sounds like a nightmare.
Yes please if you could let me see a copy of the paperwork that would be helpful.
Thank you.

Back