New PET bottles

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bombers hoppy ending

Reaction score
Hi guys. I have a new batch of PET bottles arriving tomorrow. Just wanted your thoughts on how clean they are from new. What do you guys do with new plastic bottles.
1. just sanitise with starsan and fill.
2. wash with cleaner then starsan.

My thoughts are they should be clean and only require filling.
Appreciate your thoughts.

If you have a dishwasher, put one in with a normal load and see if it comes out without warping. If so, bung the rest in. I wouldn't trust them to be spotlessly clean. I rinsed mine out originally with about 60 degree water from my hot tap and then used starsan.

Thanks for the reply’s guys.
bottles arrived this afternoon so will be bottling tomorrow morning.
Then the next batch of beer on in the afternoon.

What are the properties of Polyethylene terephthalate?

PropertyValue
Technical NamePolyethylene terephthalate (PET or PETE)
Chemical Formula(C10H8O4)n
Melt Temperature500°F (260°C)
Typical Injection Mold Temperature74 - 91 °C (165 - 195 °F) ***
Heat Deflection Temperature (HDT)70 °C (158 °F) at 0.46 MPa (66 PSI) **
Tensile Strength152 MPa (22000 PSI) *** W/ 30% Glass Fiber
Flexural Strength221 MPa (32000 PSI) *** W/ 30% Glass Fiber
Specific Gravity1.56
Shrink Rate0.1 - 0.3 % (.001 - .003 in/in) ***

I think my dishwasher runs its current cycle at 60 degrees. Might fire one in tonight and see what happens.

I have a vague recollection that 40C is the limit due to the anti-oxi lamination or something.
Anyway. I have a number of cases of Coopers bottles, that have been used many times with few issues, and would never put one in a dishwasher.
From new, spray of Starsan or equivalent, and off you go!

You rinse well after emptying the beery contents, then add some cleaner steriliser solution and leave until bottling day.
Then repeat the rinsing and give a swirl with a bottle brush, drain, transfer Starsan from bottle to bottle and drain again, they are ready to prime and go.

A bit of a faff, but a bottle tree and a practised routine mean it can all be done without really thinking.

No, just asking the OP a question. I'm pretty sure the same member (not positive) washed his previous batch in the dishwasher.
Nope only did it the once with the PET bottles. I have washed my glass bottles in the dishwasher.
New bottles now filled and conditioning.
I got the original PET bottles second hand with my first lot of fermentation gear. They were already a little battered. If only used them for the wife’s cider as it makes it easier for her to know what’s cider. I used the odd one for a beer to determine the carb conditioning, as you can feel the pressure increase.
Not that fussed to replace them, just awkward timing.
Anyway all good now. Just wanted to pass on the mistake so that others might not make the same error. 😂

Last edited:
Nope only did it the once with the PET bottles. I have washed my glass bottles in the dishwasher.
New bottles now filled and conditioning.
Your post must have coincided with someone's who washed his PETs in the dishwasher and then put up a warning not to do that. Was a few days ago.
Almost nothing better than conditioning beer.
Thanks.
Edit: Just checked upthread and now I'm confused.

Latest posts

Back