New Project... Angram CQ Beer Engine refurb - not bad for an evening's work!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi Look what the postie just delivered, my £40 bargain from eBay...

IMG_0109.jpeg

The listing did say it didn't work but, from the photos, it looked to be complete. Quick look around at most the bits are there, a few bolts missing here and there though.

IMG_0111.jpeg

I think there should be a couple of longish bolts to hold the cylinder in place as currently it just moves up and down with the handle. It's got a manufacture date of 09/17 so fairly new, hope this means the seals aren't shot yet! The overall condition is great, does look to have been some leakage at the back of the cylinder but the brass and wood are in very good nick and there's no rusting to the frame.

IMG_0112.jpeg

Would be great to hear from anyone with a CQ so I can ask for a few photos to see how it's meant to go together.

Cheers!

Can now see what bits are missing, looks like the angled connector for the bottom of the cylinder is missing, everything else looks to be there. I’ve taken the cylinder to bits and it’s all soaking in some oxy for 20 mins or so. There was a lot of gritty **** in the cylinder, not sure what’s been going through it!

There's a lot of good discussion on the forum about setting these up. I forget which threads, but searching "treatise" brings them up (reference to Peebee's very detailed thoughts on setting up a corny and beer engine). Well worth a read if you haven't already done so.

@stripeyjoe - how's the beer engine working out?
I've stripped mine down. Need to get hold of some 3/8 flexible hose to go from the cylinder to the swan neck as I impatiently cut mine thinking it was 1/2 inch, which I do have already.

All fixed up and tested with water. Think I might need to redo the joint where the 3/8” screws into the cylinder as it was leaking a little when I used a sparkler. the guy from Angram said to just use ptfe tape on the thread, guess it needs a lot!
Mine has a fair amount of ptfe on (already on when I purchased it second-hand).
I just did a water test and it looks like the piston seals are messed up on mine, as there is a small leak from where the piston meets the cylinder.
I have another identical one so will try cleaning that up tomorrow and see how that one goes.

Good idea, I shall do that. Just stripped down my second one, and between the two, I think I have parts from each in good condition to at lease get one engine up and running. Then I can take stock of the situation to qork out gwtting number two working. We shall see.

Just had my first pint through it, difficult setting a low pressure with just a normal regulator though having a no-return valve on the gas line usually reduces the pressure by a couple of psi. Have set it to a tad under 5psi.

D3954B71-1BC4-49FC-9678-1DA5897E1751.jpeg

It works!
Left it all alone for around 50 mins and nothing seems to be leaking. Have a pal coming around tomorrow so will leave it overnight with beer in to see how it fares. I’ve taken the return springs off so can leave it ‘handle down’ to reduce oxidation. My main worry is having enough pressure in the corny to retain the seal around the lid.

Latest posts

Back