New range of kits from Muntons arriving in the spring

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
IMG_20201124_171227064.jpg

Tried the first bottle of my New England IPA last night so I could send my review to Muntons.

My God, it's good. Not clear, but then I'm drinking it much younger than I normally would (they asked for the review by this Friday) but the hop aroma is superb! No twang at all and a lovely golden colour. It is perfectly carbonated though there was an awful lot of foam - I think I poured it carefully, but I'll be really gentle next time.

The hop taste is excellent! I think this kit came with more hops than any other I've ever done (120g in total), and it shows. After the hop taste has subsided, there's no real bitterness, but then that's the NEIPA style and I would say that this is an excellent example of it. Glorious flavour and I suspect with another couple of weeks, this will clear a bit more and improve. At 5%, it's a really drinkable session ale - and I don't use the word 'session' in any negative way at all.

I look forward to seeing these in the Spring. I was asked for my view on a price point, so it will be interesting to see where they end up and to see other reviews once they hit the market.

Tried the first bottle of my New England IPA last night so I could send my review to Muntons.

My God, it's good. Not clear, but then I'm drinking it much younger than I normally would (they asked for the review by this Friday) but the hop aroma is superb! No twang at all and a lovely golden colour. It is perfectly carbonated though there was an awful lot of foam - I think I poured it carefully, but I'll be really gentle next time.

The hop taste is excellent! I think this kit came with more hops than any other I've ever done (120g in total), and it shows. After the hop taste has subsided, there's no real bitterness, but then that's the NEIPA style and I would say that this is an excellent example of it. Glorious flavour and I suspect with another couple of weeks, this will clear a bit more and improve. At 5%, it's a really drinkable session ale - and I don't use the word 'session' in any negative way at all.

I look forward to seeing these in the Spring. I was asked for my view on a price point, so it will be interesting to see where they end up and to see other reviews once they hit the market.
Excellent though regarding price I'm sure this will be £25-£30 with those hops and yeast.

I see there are 120g of hops in the kit but can’t see any mention of the weight of malt. Two can kit I understand but how much in each tin and any other info on pack contents would be nice. Thanks.

Sounds good. NEIPA are meant to be cloudy anyway aren't they?

THis sounds really promising. I'm kegging half and bottling half of the American Amber later on today. I plan to send out bottles of it to Norwichg Amateur Brewers in our January Swap. I'll post feedback here.

I see there are 120g of hops in the kit but can’t see any mention of the weight of malt. Two can kit I understand but how much in each tin and any other info on pack contents would be nice. Thanks.

The packaging is temporary and hasn’t been properly designed yet so there’s nothing to say what the weight of the cans is and I certainly didn’t weigh them. I’d guess at 3kg total.

Besides the extract, the kit comes with the 120g of hops, Safale S-04 yeast and a muslin bag. The only thing you need to add is sugar for secondary fermentation.

So, Muntons new kit: American Amber Ale

Kegged half, bottled half.

Drew the first pint from the keg this evening. As you can no doubt see, the carbonation needs a little balancing.

Overall, a very nice pint. No homebrew twang. Clean fermentation, good hop nose and flavour backed up with some malt.

I think this would be a very good introduction to homebrewing for a new brewer, producing good beer within 6 weeks.

Thanks

Martin

Attachments

• muntons.jpg
    muntons.jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 90
So, Muntons new kit: American Amber Ale

Kegged half, bottled half.

Drew the first pint from the keg this evening. As you can no doubt see, the carbonation needs a little balancing.

Overall, a very nice pint. No homebrew twang. Clean fermentation, good hop nose and flavour backed up with some malt.

I think this would be a very good introduction to homebrewing for a new brewer, producing good beer within 6 weeks.

Thanks

Martin
What's the strengh?

Have still only tried one bottle of the NEIPA up until now and have just opened the first of a few to see the new year in with. It's two weeks since the first bottle and I would say it's definitely matured nicely without losing any of its hop character. I've got to say, I think this is up there with the best of the kits I've done. It's so easy to drink - fruity with a really good hop hit. It's terrific. Well done, Muntons. Happy New Year to everyone on the forum!

Attachments

• 20201231_175758.jpg
    20201231_175758.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 88
Thanks for the information and feedback. I am only new to this and have just done two kits so far, one of which is conditioning in my garage and my second is soon to be bottled. So I have not yet had the pleasure of sampling the fruits of my labour other than a couple of swigs from a trial jar. These kits look very promising and I'm sure as soon as they are launched I'll be trying a couple of them out.

Damien

I’ve had a few of the NEIPAs now (drinking one as I write this) and have had a chance to evaluate the sugar I used for secondary fermentation. As mentioned earlier in the thread, I bought some (500!) sugar sticks from Amazon. When I bottled the NEIPA, I used both white and brown sugar and used two sticks in some bottles and one stick in others - marking the bottles accordingly. I’m happy to report that I can’t tell any difference between any of them!

I guess the quantities in relation to the volume of liquid is so small, that any taste difference between white or brown just doesn’t register. The PET bottles with two sticks in may feel very slightly tighter, but once poured, there is no discernible difference. Those with one stick are well carbonated so it’s one stick per bottle for me from now on.

Absolutely gorgeous beer.

Latest posts

Back