New range of kits from Muntons arriving in the spring

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The boxes actually look really well and are thought out inside to stop anything crushing. The cardboard they've used is also a god send for shops sending them out with couriers as it's pretty strong. I quite like them :)
Just ordered the Hazy IPA & a West Coast from you guys. So glad that my go to shop is stocking them.
Hoping you also get the next batch of 35l snub noses in soon too.

Just ordered the Hazy IPA & a West Coast from you guys. So glad that my go to shop is stocking them.
Hoping you also get the next batch of 35l snub noses in soon too.

Snub noses are going to be late sorry, I should have ordered sooner. Freight around the world is a nightmare right now and Australia just had a bumper grain harvest so the boats out of there are full of that. Our container of Snubby's and the rest is coming via 3 boats now and going to take 2 months!!!

Anything out of China is no better, I've had a warning earlier today about container loads as there's another outbreak of Covid over there centred around one of the busiest ports in the country which has now more or less shut down. You can imagine how busy one of the busiest ports in China is, it puts Fleetwood to shame :)

The container will have the 300 x 30ltr Chubbys for the first time also and the new G3 snubnose with built in thermowell as well as some G2 snubnoses and a few other bits and bobs including 300 more Fermenter King Juniors.

Snub noses are going to be late sorry, I should have ordered sooner. Freight around the world is a nightmare right now and Australia just had a bumper grain harvest so the boats out of there are full of that. Our container of Snubby's and the rest is coming via 3 boats now and going to take 2 months!!!

Anything out of China is no better, I've had a warning earlier today about container loads as there's another outbreak of Covid over there centred around one of the busiest ports in the country which has now more or less shut down. You can imagine how busy one of the busiest ports in China is, it puts Fleetwood to shame :)

The container will have the 300 x 30ltr Chubbys for the first time also and the new G3 snubnose with built in thermowell as well as some G2 snubnoses and a few other bits and bobs including 300 more Fermenter King Juniors.
Thanks for the update.
Looking at upgrading from a 30l bucket to the 35l gen 3 snub nose.
I’m on the email list so will sit tight and await their arrival.
Thanks again.

There's some really exciting stuff coming over from those guys soon once production is ramped up on the new Thermenter King Glycol Chiller.

Cold crashing in a Fermenter King will soon be possible and my back of the fag packet maths says the first units over should retail for around £275 making "real" lagers more affordable for the home brewer. Ferment and serve in a temperature controlled true pressure vessel without ever having to transfer to anywhere other than a glass, it's the future.

There's some really exciting stuff coming over from those guys soon once production is ramped up on the new Thermenter King Glycol Chiller.

Cold crashing in a Fermenter King will soon be possible and my back of the fag packet maths says the first units over should retail for around £275 making "real" lagers more affordable for the home brewer. Ferment and serve in a temperature controlled true pressure vessel without ever having to transfer to anywhere other than a glass, it's the future.
Sounds exciting stuff.
Just another quick ask. Are you looking to stock the KEGLAND MINI 360 CORE ACTUATOR. Looking at using one of these with the sodastream cylinder for pressure control.

A classic NEIPA is up above 6% and has at least double the hops, 25g/l is far from unusual. Rebranding it as a hazy makes a lot of sense.
This is interesting and the first I have hear of them being distinct styles. I'm curious to hear more?

This is interesting and the first I have hear of them being distinct styles. I'm curious to hear more?

There's no hard definitions at this stage as things are still evolving, but you can think of NEIPA as a specific style within a wider family of hazy beers which use the techniques pioneered in NEIPAs to a greater or lesser extent, but which don't fit the classic NEIPA mould. So for instance, the "Cloudwater" (Brewdog) pale at Tesco is full of oats and wheat and presumably uses some kind of 1318 derivative, it's definitely opaque but at 3.7% it's far weaker than any "classic" NEIPA. So the idea of a more general "hazy" category is useful. See this photo from Untappd:
1623173124704.png

I’m having another go at the Hazy IPA (was NEIPA) and started it off today. Given they’ve tweaked the malt extract and there appear to be slightly less hops, I’m really hoping the kit is every bit as good as it was first time around. Perfect beer for late summer.

Muntons sent me the West Coast IPA to test. It went down well with family and friends. They've tweaked it a bit.

"We have altered the extract slightly which has increased the abv from 6.5% to 7%."

Mine came out at 6.7%

I felt the beer was really nice but had a bit if a saccharin flavour in the background. Maybe the malt change has sorted that. Maybe it was just me! It had 90g of hops split between Chinook, Columbus and Summit, and US-05 yeast. One of my brewing mates loved it. I'm surprised they've gone up to 7%, I guess you could brew it long, 25 litres or more, if you wanted lower.

7% from a kit, is it 3.5kg of extract and 1kg dextrose?
Sounds like a decent kit.
The trial kit was 3kg extract and 1kg brewing sugar. I think it was a 20 litre brew. And it was meant to be 6.5%.

Just got the Hazy Ipa from Love brewing,the packaging looks good imho.

Muntons emailed me about testing their new kits about a month or so back. I got sent the APA which I made up (brewed?) today now that the weather has cooled down a bit. I'm a madman so I've never actually done a kit beer before, I went straight to all grain. This kit is pretty impressive. Clear instructions, especially on brewing times (two weeks to ferment, four day dry hop, two weeks conditioning), dry hops and PROPER US-05 yeast.
PXL_20210622_122014353.jpg
PXL_20210622_115526237.jpg
PXL_20210622_115114498.jpg
PXL_20210622_164352842.jpg

The only tweaking I did to the kit was water treatment. I went with my usual hoppy ale additions - campden tablet, acid and gypsum.

When I made mine up,west coast ipa, to the instructions the gravity was 1072. I didn’t fancy a 7% beer so added another 2lts of water and reduced it to 1058. At the target FG of 1014, according to the instructions would give an ABV of approx 5.8%.
Dry hopped after 9 days and checked SG 1018, and seemed to be very little if any activity.
Just checked the SG and it’s now 1008. Well below the target, and if it stays there, an ABV of 6.6%.
Going to check again in a couple of days and if stable bottle it.

I’ve only done mangrove jacks kits (these are bloody lovely 🍺🍺)and a couple of coopers! New to brewing so playing it safe lol 😂
Can’t wait to read reviews as I’m tempted to try something different 👍

I’ve only done mangrove jacks kits (these are bloody lovely 🍺🍺)and a couple of coopers! New to brewing so playing it safe lol 😂
Can’t wait to read reviews as I’m tempted to try something different 👍
Currently away in the caravan and enjoying a very nice MJ juicy IPA. awesome pint. Even the wife loves it.

Latest posts

Back