New range of kits from Muntons arriving in the spring

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No. I don’t know about @MartinHaworth but since sending my review in towards the end of last year, I’ve heard absolutely nothing - not even a thank you. I’m starting to wonder if the person I was dealing with is still there, unless he’s been furloughed.

My last bottle of NEIPA by my side now. A desperately sad evening. I hope to God Munton’s are still going to release these kits to market, because this beer is absolutely superb. I’d buy this kit tomorrow.

Not really on topic but. I'm kind of surprised Muntons are doing these kits.
I recently bought a Muntons Yorkshire Bitter kit.
I wrote to Muntons listing what ingredients I already had and asked what they suggested.
The first response was "we'll pass your question on to one of our experts."
The next reply was "dextrose and dry hop." Only a vague mention of maybe try 20 grams of hops.
No detail at all.

The Muntons kits are now in production and will be available from May. From Muntons today;

Collectively, you provided us with invaluable feedback on the homebrew kits which led to a number of changes:
  • Firstly, you told us that a New England IPA is a notoriously hard beer style to produce in a malt extract kit, and you were right. Looking at your feedback, what we produced fell short of a true New England IPA. Therefore, we reformulated one of the extracts used, tweaked the amount of hop pellets, and changed the name to a Hazy IPA that was better keeping with the style we had produced.
  • Secondly, you told us that the West Coast IPA was a great beer, however it would benefit from an increased malt flavour. Therefore, we have altered the extract slightly which has increased the abv from 6.5% to 7%.
  • Finally, we amended the instructions provided on all of our kits. This is now a clear, step-by-step guide on how to brew each of these beers exactly as intended. However, our collateral will encourage experienced brewers to make tweaks if they feel confident in doing so.
Screenshot 2021-04-09 at 17.15.31.png

Interesting that the feedback indicated that the New England IPA fell short of the beer style. I thought it was absolutely superb!

Fair play to them. Great reply and the range looks very interesting. I love a Hazy IPA. I'll be trying a few of those I am sure. Thanks for the update.

Brew UK now have the new Muntons range in stock.

https://bit.ly/2SQ2gPs
As a designer looking at the range now, I can't help thinking that I should have offered them some help with the packaging design :(
Thanks for the update. I have a Pink Grapefruit IPA going on again and then a Juicy Session IPA. Both were so good I am doing them again. After that I will give one of these new kits a try. Was already considering Muntons Hand Craft Range - Midas Touch.

As a designer looking at the range now, I can't help thinking that I should have offered them some help with the packaging design :(

You don't know what constraints they were under, there's meant to be a big shortage of cardboard at the moment so the "home-made" look may have been forced on them to some extent if they couldn't get good cardboard in the quantity they needed.

You don't know what constraints they were under, there's meant to be a big shortage of cardboard at the moment so the "home-made" look may have been forced on them to some extent if they couldn't get good cardboard in the quantity they needed.
I don't think it's cardboard box so much as the type colour / vignette effect.
Coopers went the cardboardy look too when they released their kits like this a while ago.
They avoided the awful type though.

I very much doubt they were limited to one type of stock! I guess they're probably trying to schieve a 'recycled' look and feel, but I think it ends up looking tired and dull. It's a brand new range of 'upmarket' (their word) kits - they need to look fresh, compelling and desirable. I think the new design fails on all levels. I hate the typography, hate the colours and don't think the photography has been well used, but then I am completely anal about these things and fully appreciate that such things are subjective.

I'd still buy the Hazy IPA, but only because I know how good the beer is.

Surely it’s what n the box that matters? As long as it gives you a picture if the finished beer, the type of beer and some contents information I’m happy.
I’ve already bought the west coast ipa, can’t wait!

Surely it’s what n the box that matters? As long as it gives you a picture if the finished beer, the type of beer and some contents information I’m happy.
I’ve already bought the west coast ipa, can’t wait!

I've been too used to doing packaging for the major supermarkets over the years. I've lost count of the number of times I've been involved in redesigning an existing range and then weeks or months later, being told that sales had increased hugely. Bear in mind that the contents of the pack hadn't changed one iota!

Brew UK now have the new Muntons range in stock.

https://bit.ly/2SQ2gPs

The boxes actually look really well and are thought out inside to stop anything crushing. The cardboard they've used is also a god send for shops sending them out with couriers as it's pretty strong. I quite like them :)

I assume a kit hazy would be just as susceptible to oxidations as full grain neipas? I would be really keen to try as a toe dip in the style if the risk is reduced

Latest posts

Back