New range of kits from Muntons arriving in the spring

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just ordered the Hazy IPA and the West Coast IPA from B2B.
Excited to try them.
Have got the hazy and west coast being delivered this week; so was surprised to see on a you tube tasting video that the yeast used in the hazy ipa was SO4 , I understand that so4 is a high floculating and high attenuating yeast surly not the best choice for a hazy or am I missing something? Would anyone recommend a better choice of yeast to use or just go with the kit yeast 🤷‍♂️

Have got the hazy and west coast being delivered this week; so was surprised to see on a you tube tasting video that the yeast used in the hazy ipa was SO4 , I understand that so4 is a high floculating and high attenuating yeast surly not the best choice for a hazy or am I missing something? Would anyone recommend a better choice of yeast to use or just go with the kit yeast 🤷‍♂️
Hasn’t seen that.
I’m interested to see what people have to say. I have a couple of packs of verdant yeast in the fridge. I may switch it out when I do mine.

I've noticed a bit of a cock-up on the packaging. It was originally to be a NEIPA but was changed to a Hazy IPA. They've forgotten to change the text on the side of the box. Sack the designer! (he says, being a designer).
20210625_122653.jpg
20210625_122722.jpg

I understand that so4 is a high floculating and high attenuating yeast surly not the best choice for a hazy or am I missing something?

Haziness has nothing to do with yeast properties as such, certainly nothing to do with flocculation. The haze comes from the interaction of protein (mostly from the grist) and polyphenols (mostly from hops, especially southern hemisphere hops). Not the yeast.

And in fact there's an epic thread on HBT where someone DNA fingerprinted the yeast from Treehouse Julius, one of the real "hype" New England beers, and found what looks like S-04, T-58 and WB-06. Others have experimented with proportions and it appears that they were using 90% S-04 with a pinch of T-58 and WB-06, although it seems they may have changed yeasts since the time of the original fingerprinting.

So S-04 is not such a daft idea as it may seem - I think there's little debate that Lallemand Verdant is the dry yeast of choice for hazy stuff these days, but S-04 is OK. Maybe do the kit "as is" this time, and then see how it varies in future?

Haziness has nothing to do with yeast properties as such, certainly nothing to do with flocculation. The haze comes from the interaction of protein (mostly from the grist) and polyphenols (mostly from hops, especially southern hemisphere hops). Not the yeast.

And in fact there's an epic thread on HBT where someone DNA fingerprinted the yeast from Treehouse Julius, one of the real "hype" New England beers, and found what looks like S-04, T-58 and WB-06. Others have experimented with proportions and it appears that they were using 90% S-04 with a pinch of T-58 and WB-06, although it seems they may have changed yeasts since the time of the original fingerprinting.

So S-04 is not such a daft idea as it may seem - I think there's little debate that Lallemand Verdant is the dry yeast of choice for hazy stuff these days, but S-04 is OK. Maybe do the kit "as is" this time, and then see how it varies in future?
Cheers for that have ordered a verdant and will go wit that this time , actually just received the west coast and the hazy today brew Uk and reading the instructions am a little confused about the priming rates for both beers the instructions state to use half a spoon of sugar ( didn’t state dextrose or table sugar) per bottle , I use 500ml pint bottles so when I worked it out it only equates to 41.2 grams for twenty pints, surly that’s now where near right, would appreciate some input guys, am I just being a bit thick or am I missing something 🤷‍♂️👍🍻

Cheers for that have ordered a verdant and will go wit that this time , actually just received the west coast and the hazy today brew Uk and reading the instructions am a little confused about the priming rates for both beers the instructions state to use half a spoon of sugar ( didn’t state dextrose or table sugar) per bottle , I use 500ml pint bottles so when I worked it out it only equates to 41.2 grams for twenty pints, surly that’s now where near right, would appreciate some input guys, am I just being a bit thick or am I missing something 🤷‍♂️👍🍻
Sorry chaps got it all wrong was definitely being a bit thick today, to many beverages last night 😂 half a teaspoon of suger weighs 2.6 grams, times 35 equals 91 grams of priming sugar, is that about right

I've noticed a bit of a cock-up on the packaging. It was originally to be a NEIPA but was changed to a Hazy IPA. They've forgotten to change the text on the side of the box. Sack the designer! (he says, being a designer).View attachment 50327View attachment 50328
I believe hazy zesty and fruity are accurate descriptions of a New England IPA !!! So not really a cock up 🤔

I believe hazy zesty and fruity are accurate descriptions of a New England IPA !!! So not really a cock up 🤔

Muntons themselves announced that what was to be a 'NEIPA', was being changed to a 'Hazy IPA' as it was almost impossible to create an authentic NEIPA from a kit. The 'New England IPA' reference on the side of the box is obviously a hangover from the original package design - someone forgot to make the change when the kit was rebranded to a Hazy IPA.

I think hazy comes from the amount of hops (dry hopping) and choice of adjuncts in the grain bill.

Muntons themselves announced that what was to be a 'NEIPA', was being changed to a 'Hazy IPA' as it was almost impossible to create an authentic NEIPA from a kit. The 'New England IPA' reference on the side of the box is obviously a hangover from the original package design - someone forgot to make the change when the kit was rebranded to a Hazy IPA.
I've not actually seen that announcement from muntons. I doubt anyone will try sue them over the labelling.
And it's almost impossible to truly accurately replicate most styles of beer with a beer kit, but we still enjoy drinking them😁
And the fact remains if you buy a bottle of New England IPA you wouldn't be surprised to see the description on the label as being
hazy zesty and fruity.

Just got the West Coast IPA in the FV. A very comprehensive instruction sheet, 3 sorts of hops for dry hopping, brewing sugar and even a syphon straining bag included. Nice kit.
My West coast IPA went into FV last Monday night. I only used half the brewing sugar (Og 1.056 21lt) I decided 7%abv was a bit too much for me 🤪. Started at zero pressure 19c and let it rise to 5psi for 2 days. Tweaking it up gradually. It's now day 7 and ticking over nicely at 21 psi at 20c.
I can't wait 😉

I've got the Flagship American Pale Ale kit in the FV (9 days) at the moment, hops are going in tomorrow. Basically doing it by the instructions, with the exception being that I have no temperature control (Other than the FV being in the coolest place in the house, under the stairs), and its sat at 23c today. Has been fairly stable at 20c up until now though. OG 1.044 @ 20L.

Fairly vigorous fermentation for the first 48 hours, then it settled to a good bubble through the lock every 10 seconds or so ever since.

If its any good, it may well be the push to upgrade the FV to something more modern.

Just put the Hazy IPA into a few 5 litre kegs, it started off at 1044 and made it down to 1008 so I'm happy with that. I have to say it smelled fantastic and the little taste I had of it was really good. Very much looking forward to chilling a keg and enjoying it in a few weeks.

My West coast IPA went into FV last Monday night. I only used half the brewing sugar (Og 1.056 21lt) I decided 7%abv was a bit too much for me 🤪. Started at zero pressure 19c and let it rise to 5psi for 2 days. Tweaking it up gradually. It's now day 7 and ticking over nicely at 21 psi at 20c.
I can't wait 😉
I did mine exactly as the instructions said, which is unusual for me! OG was 1.064, so a little under target if the final is 1.014 as they say in the instructions. Had to put it in an air conditioned room to keep it around 20C, makes a change from heating the room up!

What sort of FG is the US-05 expected to be capable of then? My instructions also say wait til its below 1.014 (And stable), and after 10 days its at 1.015, or just shy of 4% ABV with this kit. It had slowed right off which i put down to the ambient temperature, but taking the lid off to put in the hops appears to have woken it up again and its bubbling away.

Must admit, already impressed with the tasting sample, and that was before the hops went in. Big fan of the Amarillo hops smell too!

Put my west coast and the hazy on nine days ago but did use verdant yeast in the hazy and used the S05 I the west coast as supplied , and currently the the hazy is down to 1.008 and the west coast is at 1.011 so happy with that at the moment, will be bottling on Sunday so the west coast should drop a bit lower by then even though the weather as bit a bit extreme managed to keep the fermentation temp to 21,22 C so looking forward to testing both brews in a few weeks time, both smell amazing put dry hops in both today and the smell in the brew room tonight is very hoppy and fruity ( much to the wife’s dismay 😂 ) so I think S05 has done a good job and ain’t finished yet 👍🍻

Put my west coast and the hazy on nine days ago but did use verdant yeast in the hazy and used the S05 I the west coast as supplied , and currently the the hazy is down to 1.008 and the west coast is at 1.011 so happy with that at the moment, will be bottling on Sunday so the west coast should drop a bit lower by then even though the weather as bit a bit extreme managed to keep the fermentation temp to 21,22 C so looking forward to testing both brews in a few weeks time, both smell amazing put dry hops in both today and the smell in the brew room tonight is very hoppy and fruity ( much to the wife’s dismay 😂 ) so I think S05 has done a good job and ain’t finished yet 👍🍻
I’d be interested to see what your hazy is like using the verdant yeast. I have the kit here and also some verdant.
May west coast using the supplied S05 yeast finished at 1.006.

Back